When will the bike shortage in the UK end ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I have been in a couple of bike shops plenty of bikes think saying that there is a shortage is just a excuse to get a high price .
I don't.

While the numbers available are increasing, they are still very limited compared to what there were a couple of years ago.

And most bike shops would rather sell more bikes at a reasonable margin than sell a few at a higher margin. If they had them available, they would.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have been in a couple of bike shops plenty of bikes think saying that there is a shortage is just a excuse to get a high price .
It depends what you want to buy.

My LBS is packed out with bikes and very happy with sales. Everything in stock is aimed at the local market and the price people will pay. I've no problem with this.

However if I wanted for example to replace my summer bike I would be looking at 9-12 months wait. I've got an Ultegra group set on order for March!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Early days I know but how are you finding them?

I've swapped over to Decathlon cassettes (purchased in the new Bromley store). Great quality for a cheaper than Shimano priced equivalent . Nice crisp gear changes so no complaints here. Be interesting to see how long they last. I usually change a cassette and chain once a year regardless as I can't be bothered checking.

I've swapped over to Decathlon cassettes (purchased in the new Bromley store). Great quality for a cheaper than Shimano priced equivalent . Nice crisp gear changes so no complaints here. Be interesting to see how long they last. I usually change a cassette and chain once a year regardless as I can't be bothered checking.
thanks for the recommendation though as you say you don't have durability data yet - only just realised in searching for something that a Bromley store even existed.
Must admit to being a tad surprised that you only change the cassette/chain once a year. On your commuter bike? If so no chainring issues?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Been using decathlon cassettes and chains for a while now again now issues at all

deaninkl

Regular
A freind here in Taiwan pulled the trigger on a Gravel build using a locally made frame, GRX810 groupset and mid level other componants, he is XL so no possibility of buying off the shelf locally. LBS that is building the bike told him 4 weeks to complete, the group set and wheels taking the longest time. Everything is Taiwan made. However the general picture here is not good at all. Bike factories working slow time as they dont have raw materials and some not able to ship due to no containers. I wanted to buy a Merida Silex 400, but was told mid to late 2022, with no gurantee. I took the Silex 200 instead and change the chainrings and cassette... got close to what I wanted but not with a GRX groupset.. times are tough...;o)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I offer this comment with little evidence to back it up.

The company my No 1 son works for manufactures a very significant proportion of its product in China and has experienced severe supply chain problems since Brexit. Initially this was a direct result of Brexit but those hurdles have been overcome.

The issue now is a lack of and reduced production capacity in China. A consequence of which is for capacity elsewhere in the Far East to be heavily booked.

The lack of Chinese capacity results from the government ordering all manufacturers to cut production by 50% to reduce energy consumption and help the country achieve its emissions targets.

One can find media reports of this but I've not noticed anything in the UK media.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/28/economy/china-power-shortage-gdp-supply-chain-intl-hnk/index.html

Top Bottom