When will the bike shortage in the UK end ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bid two Polo's, one for each tyre.
Depends. Is there going to be a shortage of Polos? ;)

I guess we'll have to wait until after eight to find out.

That's me! I've enjoyed 105 11speed on my road bike, but have gone for Sora 9sp on my new bike because I really don't need close ratios,
Close ratios are really only of benefit for racers i think - so's they can produce that surprise last minute push that leaves their opponent eating dust/weeping.
One of my cassettes (I think it is on an 8 speed) is criticised by some anal nerds for a big jump at one point - me? - have a certain fondness for the satisfying positive clunk on that change - particularly as I am often carrying a fair amount of stuff on that bike.

I've got a nearly-new pair of 30mm Schwalbe Winters spiked tyres. They'll be worth a mint.
I have noticed that planet X doesn't have its normal supply of cheap tyres - lots no longer there - others shot up in price - I have passable stocks but do folks have any idea when the Yorkshire planet might resume normal service and supplies?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Close ratios are really only of benefit for racers i think - so's they can produce that surprise last minute push that leaves their opponent eating dust/weeping.
One of my cassettes (I think it is on an 8 speed) is criticised by some anal nerds for a big jump at one point - me? - have a certain fondness for the satisfying positive clunk on that change - particularly as I am often carrying a fair amount of stuff on that bike.
Yet big jumps in gears annoy me no end.
I have changed my commuter/tourer front crankset to a 46/36, paired with a 11/27 on the back. My Van Nick has 11/25 on the back and I'll be changing the front to 46/36 too.
It's so much smoother with the gear changes.

Yet big jumps in gears annoy me no end.
I have changed my commuter/tourer front crankset to a 46/36, paired with a 11/27 on the back. My Van Nick has 11/25 on the back and I'll be changing the front to 46/36 too.
It's so much smoother with the gear changes.
Doesn't bother me much as you may have guessed mr blue one - I find my legs have a pretty good variable drive range.

And of course triples provide a lot of choices - small changes :smile:

And on the "big changes problem" don't some petrolheads get a certain buzz from switching to overdrive/turbo power whatever?

Alex321

Veteran
I have a 105 groupset with 50/34 and 11 speed 11-32 cassette. I find just one place in the cassette where the jump is big enough to be an issue, where I feel the higher gear is a little too high, but I change down and it feels a little too low.

I have a 105 groupset with 50/34 and 11 speed 11-32 cassette. I find just one place in the cassette where the jump is big enough to be an issue, where I feel the higher gear is a little too high, but I change down and it feels a little too low.
as above - triple.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
as above - triple.

Or Rohloff.

The evenly spaced sequential gears on my Rohloff equipped ebike are nicer to use than the previous Alfine 11, and nicer to use than any double or triple chain ring set up.

However, keeping things in proportion I have no problems with the bike shop's six speed Brompton which I borrow occasionally or the 1X10 derailer gears on my other bike.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I was in the big Evans's near the Trafford Centre last week. Seemed to have full racks of bikes again. Doesn't mean you can get one in the right size without a long wait though, but they did have plenty out to look at. Nothing much on a deal though apart from a rack of Clearance bikes that were nearly all step through bikes aimed at women.

Biker man

I was in the big Evans's near the Trafford Centre last week. Seemed to have full racks of bikes again. Doesn't mean you can get one in the right size without a long wait though, but they did have plenty out to look at. Nothing much on a deal though apart from a rack of Clearance bikes that were nearly all step through bikes aimed at women.
I have been in a couple of bike shops plenty of bikes think saying that there is a shortage is just a excuse to get a high price .

sasquath

If only
Or Rohloff.

The evenly spaced sequential gears on my Rohloff equipped ebike are nicer to use than the previous Alfine 11, and nicer to use than any double or triple chain ring set up.

However, keeping things in proportion I have no problems with the bike shop's six speed Brompton which I borrow occasionally or the 1X10 derailer gears on my other bike.
Y 9 speed 11-36 is annoying only when going for it at full gas. Jumping with cadence from 110 to 85 at same speed is not comfortable.
If only rohloff didn't cost 4x what I paid for whole bike...marvel of engineering but can't really justify the price.

Top Bottom