When will the bike shortage in the UK end ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
I've been wondering why the Far East don't fabricate more new containers, and sell on some more of the empty stranded ones in the West into the secure storage market. People with valuable equipment to lock up on farms, industrial yards, and construction sites are always looking for strong steel containers. I use one at work myself, it must contain at least £50k worth of gear.
If you have a bit of land you can buy them & easily cut doors & windows out, insulate & line them into accommodation. I’m sure Grand designs have covered it.

vickster

Legendary Member
Seem to recall Wahaca’s development kitchen/restaurant on the South Bank is an old shipping container (not sure if it’s still there)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The point I was making is if the logistics of returning empties to the exporting far East countries for refilling with goods is prohibitive, it might be economically better to build new ones locally and take some hit on selling off the ones that are currently in the wrong places even at a lower than normal price. THat way you aren't shipping empties halfway around the globe with no revenue-earning stuff inside them.
There are endless uses for these things, and if they become available cheaply enough, more of them will get repurposed for other uses so long as the recipient has room to take delivery of one via an HGV with a crane on the back!.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The point I was making is if the logistics of returning empties to the exporting far East countries for refilling with goods is prohibitive, it might be economically better to build new ones locally and take some hit on selling off the ones that are currently in the wrong places even at a lower than normal price. THat way you aren't shipping empties halfway around the globe with no revenue-earning stuff inside them.
There are endless uses for these things, and if they become available cheaply enough, more of them will get repurposed for other uses so long as the recipient has room to take delivery of one via an HGV with a crane on the back!.
You're quite correct there are many other uses shipping containers can be put to.

I would feel the last thing we need is tens of thousands of unwanted containers littering the country. There are already thousands in use in this fashion, none of them cared for in anyway and simply making any site they're stored on look like a car scrapyard.

I do know one which has been very creatively turned in to a good coffee stop. Very much the exception to the rule.

Nebulous

Guru
How much do you see them going for?

A friend became seriously ill about two years ago, sold their house and moved in with a family member. After checking storage prices a relative bought two containers, placed them on their farm and stored all the friend's stuff, furniture, garden equipment etc. These had been used once, shipped from China and then sold on, under £5000 for both of them.

I was surprised at how good they were. Well sealed, water-proof, mouse-proof, secure and well painted. I'm occasionally asked to fetch them something from the container, and they still look very good, with no signs of corrosion.

I've no idea if prices have gone up, down or stayed the same since the pandemic, but at the time I was surprised at how readily available, cheap and well made they were. All we had to do was find the right person to ask.

deaninkl

Regular
I use shipping containers for site offices and storage, they cost between $2k and 5k deepening on age, condition and how they have been modified, but right noe they are simply unavailable. When shimano can not get steel for cassettes yo also can't get steel for containers. China is using its own steel for construction... there is a shortage so it is reluctant to export.. its just a perfect storm scenario right now, and our inept governments didn't see it coming and don't have a clue how to get out of it.... so they just watch and play the blame game.

My search for a new bike ended at a lower level model of what i wanted, but at least the brand and model, and a few upgrades to get the gear range i wanted.... delivery next saturday!! yey!

Milzy

Guru
So Dolan can’t get my frame to me after all. They say it will be another month but in another month they’ll probably say another month. And so on, and so on….
Soon be winter I may as well just wait. I’ve had refunds on other frames because of waiting & the same problem just keeps on happening.
The second hand market is probably the best way to go tbh.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Earlier this year I ordered a bike from Spa. They warned me of possible delays at the time, and that the build would take longer than the usual three months.

They were correct; it's been despatched and will be with me three months and one week after placing the order.

Smug.

thanks, but still out of stock i think, like last time I looked.
Any idea who makes decathlon's own brand drivetrain bits? I ask as in the past some of their cheaper cranksets (I was looking for an 8 speed build just as Shimano 8 speed Alivio was disappearing) looked very like Shimano's own stuff to me.
Decathlon has one of the largest contract with Shimano which they brand as their own.

Top Bottom