When will the bike shortage in the UK end ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought 3 Shimano 105 11-28 cassettes last week, £46 each compared to £36 last time I bought one. That should see me through a couple of years, tend to get 6000 miles before I swap them.
Sunlit uplands
not long since I was getting 9 speed cassettes for £15 or less.
Am afraid i don't see these sunlit uplands - even lower end rear mechs seem to have shot up in price.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I was buying some stuff recently and added to my order 2 chains that I don't need right now. I am a bad, bad panic buyer.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Low end stuff doesn't tend to get replaced much, it comes on cheap bikes (and I imagine is sold to bike manufacturers with a massive bulk discount), and if they get ridden enough to wear out the components, the owner is more likely to go for a better bike than just replace components. Most of the bikes with low end components won't get ridden enough to wear them out.

The findings from my skip salvage suggests that low end bikes often get abandoned either due to age and long disuse, typically having perished tyres but not much else wrong with them, or something on a newer bike gets crashed & trashed and renders it uneconomic to fix but the rest of the bike still has some perfectly useable stuff on it, which I harvest. Cheap 26" hardtail and full sus MTB's are the most numerous by a clear mile, followed by 24" junior sized stuff which are mechanically very similar.
I'm doing my best to be the exeption to the rule of not managing to wear out the mechanicals of low end bikes, but mine are proving to be surprisingly durable.

Milzy

Guru
Still loads hardly of ridden 1 - 3 year old bikes out there for sale at sensible money
True but I want frame warranty. Heard a few stories of people finding cracked carbon because they didn’t turn the bike upside down to inspect.

Milzy

Guru
A Terry Dolan frame I want is supposed to come in stock this week but I bet it will be delayed by a month claiming logistical issues. Then in a month delayed again & so on & so on until you ask for your money back then start the lottery all over again somewhere else. I may end up buying second hand after all.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A Terry Dolan frame I want is supposed to come in stock this week but I bet it will be delayed by a month claiming logistical issues. Then in a month delayed again & so on & so on until you ask for your money back then start the lottery all over again somewhere else. I may end up buying second hand after all.
My son has taken delivery of two Dolans in the last 12 months, one about six weeks ago, both arrived on time. A friend received hers last week again on time.

You may be pleasantly surprised.

Regarding the original question I would expect late summer 2023. Yesterday my LBS quoted me February for the Ultegra groupset I'm after.

If happy with Decathlon own brand they do a 9 speed 11-32 cassette for £14.99
thanks, but still out of stock i think, like last time I looked.
Any idea who makes decathlon's own brand drivetrain bits? I ask as in the past some of their cheaper cranksets (I was looking for an 8 speed build just as Shimano 8 speed Alivio was disappearing) looked very like Shimano's own stuff to me.

C R

Guru
thanks, but still out of stock i think, like last time I looked.
Any idea who makes decathlon's own brand drivetrain bits? I ask as in the past some of their cheaper cranksets (I was looking for an 8 speed build just as Shimano 8 speed Alivio was disappearing) looked very like Shimano's own stuff to me.
I think that particular one may be microshift.

deaninkl

Regular
Believe me its not just the UK that have bike supply issues, and its not just bikes, pretty much everything mechanical component wise that has its manufacturing done in China currently has issues. I live in Taiwan, can't get bikes here either.. parts suppliers in China don't know where and when materials will arrive, so the big assemblers in Taiwan can't get components.... and its not just materials, containers for shipping are currently in very short supply, thus pushing up costs. Covid measures in factories in China and Taiwan have seriously slowed production. There is close to zero international traveling in Asia.. so technicians and engineers are not traveling.

As bicycle manufacturing is not seen as a priority for either China or Taiwan, governments are concentrating of other industries..... so these issues are going to go on well into next year and even beyond.

A friend locally here in Taipei has had a Surly Disc Trucker on order since last November, this week he gave up and the LBS have given him his deposit back. I have wanted a Merida Silex 400 for a long while, I gave up and bought a 200 that I found in a shop in my size, as no one could give me delivery date for new bikes in 2021 or now 2022.... I wanted the GRX drive train on the Silex 400, but now have settled for Sora on the 200.... I'll wait a couple of years and then see whats out there.

Top Bottom