when would you get married ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Arch, it doesn't have to be expensive to be a good wedding.

As Davidc says, its virtually a mugs game with the vast amounts spent on a wedding, stupidity in fact, far better spending the money wisely, not just a lavish party with all the trimmings etc with nothing to show afterwards.

When I got married, and it was in a church too, My partner, then, made all the dresses, for herself and our daughter as she was a brides maid and a waistcoat for our son to go with his suit, brides boy or whatever you call them, I made all the home made wine, my partners brother in law drove her to the church in his Taxi, a white lada, lol. I went in my own car. I gave £30 to the church for a donation and the organist, the reception was held in the church just behind a screen. Just in case guests did not like my wine, I bought a few cans of beer and a couple of bottles of spirits that morning. There was not even any balloons and all that crap either. Photo's we took ourselves and the guests ttoo. My suit my brother had bought me for his wedding and I still wear it to this day, for every funeral etc that I go to and I'll probably get buried in it too.

And the best bit was, everybody said it was the best wedding they had been too, especially getting legless in a church and everybody loved my wine that much they wanted bottles to take home.

But where it did go wrong was, I forgot about the "honeymoon" and was back at work next day, not that we would have gone anywhere, but she was upset that I did not have a day off work at least.

I actually thought as well that it was made special, by having both our children their as it made it a real family do. I think overall cost probably did not exceed £100 and before you say that would have been a lot of money back in 19 something, it was only in 1996, so planned wisely, you can have a good proper wedding at little cost.

I had known my partner for four years before we got married, and had lived with him for pretty much most of that time. Even though I knew him fairly well marriage throws some real challenges at you, and I dare say that had we not been married, with the problems we have had, we would not be together now. I think that my marriage is something that I am proud of because we have both worked very hard at it. Had I waited, I probably would not be married, as I can't think of anyone else who would want a headstrong opinionated redhead like myself! :laugh:

As for the kind of wedding we had, we designed it around our favourite night out. The other half works in events so we had access to a lot of free kit eg starcloth, PA, bean bags (oh yes!), lighting, computers and projection. We spent quite a bit of money, but the cost was shared between the two families and ourselves. Lots of people said it was the best wedding they'd ever been to, and some of our friends who got married afterwards copied what we did, which was a big compliment.

taxing

I don't want to get married, ever, because I'm a big ol' feminist and I don't like the name changing and the dad giving you away crap. But my boyfriend does want to get married someday, so if we stay together I suppose I would, for him. But because I'd be making that sacrifice then I'd use it as leverage. :evil: I definitely wouldn't be getting married in a church (his parents are Catholic and he is vaguely, but I'm not religious, so I'm not doing it), I wouldn't change my name, I'd have my mum and my stepdad give me away, and I wouldn't have any vows that say that we're going to stay together forever and ever. While I wouldn't marry him if I thought that we were going to split up, I also think that you can't predict the future and what's the point in promising to stay together when actually, if in 20 years from the date, who can predict what we'll feel? And no vows about obeying, either.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't want to get married, ever, because I'm a big ol' feminist and I don't like the name changing and the dad giving you away crap. But my boyfriend does want to get married someday, so if we stay together I suppose I would, for him. But because I'd be making that sacrifice then I'd use it as leverage. :evil: I definitely wouldn't be getting married in a church (his parents are Catholic and he is vaguely, but I'm not religious, so I'm not doing it), I wouldn't change my name, I'd have my mum and my stepdad give me away, and I wouldn't have any vows that say that we're going to stay together forever and ever. While I wouldn't marry him if I thought that we were going to split up, I also think that you can't predict the future and what's the point in promising to stay together when actually, if in 20 years from the date, who can predict what we'll feel? And no vows about obeying, either.

If you're set on 'not in a church' (which would be my feeling too), then you don't need to be 'given away', you only need witnesses.

I'd go for the registry office myself, with a nice booze up somewhere afterwards. The one thing I hanker after one day is a party where there's a marquee, and those gold bentwood chairs with red cushions, and preferably flaming torches lighting the driveway. No idea which driveway, and the party needn't be a wedding I suppose.

I'd also quite like to have a grand do like that, but then have the catering supplied by a fish and chip van....

taxing

If you're set on 'not in a church' (which would be my feeling too), then you don't need to be 'given away', you only need witnesses.

I'd go for the registry office myself, with a nice booze up somewhere afterwards. The one thing I hanker after one day is a party where there's a marquee, and those gold bentwood chairs with red cushions, and preferably flaming torches lighting the driveway. No idea which driveway, and the party needn't be a wedding I suppose.

I'd also quite like to have a grand do like that, but then have the catering supplied by a fish and chip van....

It's the idea of anyone being 'given away' by their dad that annoys me. I would quite like to subvert that and have my mum and stepdad who raised me do it, to make a point, rather than just skipping it. I wouldn't want to get married in a registry office because my mum got married in the Hull one and the Hull one is hideous. Anywhere but there.

I'd like to have a do like that, then the food be those rock plates that you get from the seaside. You know the ones with a rock fry up, or a rock sausage, chips and peas?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd like to have a do like that, then the food be those rock plates that you get from the seaside. You know the ones with a rock fry up, or a rock sausage, chips and peas?

:biggrin:

IF I was ever to walk down an aisle, and that's highly unlikely, I'd like to do it to Darth Vader's theme....

I suppose one good modern thing is that you can get married in lots of venues, if the registry office is naff.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
It's the idea of anyone being 'given away' by their dad that annoys me. I would quite like to subvert that and have my mum and stepdad who raised me do it, to make a point, rather than just skipping it.
If you have civil ceremony (not necessarily in a registry office, there are loads of fab places that have alicence) the registrar would probably be up for that. You can write your own vows as long as you repeat a few of the legally binding phrases.

Chuffy and myself got married in a folly, nobody gave me away, and we opted for basic vows without any mention of obeying.

We then had a bucketload of mulled wine :thumbsup:

Originally I thought I'd change my surname, but it's a bit of a faff and I've not really got round to it. I'd be up for 170 years though :wub:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Been married once (for 11 years), but unlikely to do it again. Had a few relationships since, but have been single for about 4 years now and to be honest, I like the freedom to do my own thing. I think I'm becoming a bit of a loner ;)

Noodley

Marriage was the best thing that ever happened to Mrs Noodley....the she got divorced and met me.

Top Bottom