when you get on bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darts180

Regular
hi, could I ask you know when you get on bike, do you have trouble getting your leg over the bar? I was using a friends bike and he is slightly taller and I had to lean bike to the side to get leg over. he said to try yoga and stretches will help lol I think he was taking the micky there. I noticed the wheels looked slightly bigger than anything I've rode on before. I just wondered if you ever had trouble getting your leg over the bar yeah.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really on a bike that is the right size. Were you wearing a skirt?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I always have trouble getting my leg over but with a bike you can always lean it as you've found out.
Once you're on as long as you pass the 'Victor Sylvester' test you'll be fine.
DSCN0129.JPG

Only just with this one.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I always lean my bike over.

Sharky

Guru
My cranks are shorter than the norm, so my saddle is correspondingly higher than the norm, so yes I do have to lean the bike over, or get on from a raised pavement. My problem was made worse when I fractured my pelvis last year and not yet regained full flexibility.

OP
OP
D

darts180

Regular
I was told when your sitting on the seat your feet should just touch the ground almost like a tip toe but not flat foot. I think I got that bit right for the seat height. what's that victor test, I've not heard that one yet.

tyred

Legendary Member
You don't need to be able to touch the ground at all while sitting on the saddle, as you move forward off the saddle when you come to a halt. With the pedal at its lowest position, put your heel on it and your leg should be straight. Otherwise you'll probably hurt your knees by having the saddle too low.

Not necessarily. It depends on the bike. With some older bikes, most vintage 26" wheeled roadsters or typical Dutch city bikes with laid back angles, it usually is possible to touch the ground with your toes when the saddle is in the right position.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom