Where are we buying our groupsets from now then?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Since many of our European friends (Mantel / Bike-Discount etc.) aren’t playing nicely with us at the minute, where is everyone going shopping for their bargain groupsets/components?

Are there any online hidden gems or is it back to Wiggle?

Since many of our European friends (Mantel / Bike-Discount etc.) aren’t playing nicely with us at the minute, where is everyone going shopping for their bargain groupsets/components?

Are there any online hidden gems or is it back to Wiggle?
Merlin were generally well priced although stock patchy at times.

dodgy

I've not seen anything cheap enough anywhere to make any purchases since Christmas. I usually, no actually - ALWAYS, buy stuff when it's cheap, not when I need it. So I generally have a stockpile of my favourite tyres, cassettes and chains, but the supply is dwindling. I also buy cycle clothing in the same way, usually buy winter kit in summer and vice versa.

Maybe it's the end of the line for cheap kit for a while, hopefully some firms will figure out the logistics at some point, but not holding my breath.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I've not seen anything cheap enough anywhere to make any purchases since Christmas. I usually, no actually - ALWAYS, buy stuff when it's cheap, not when I need it. So I generally have a stockpile of my favourite tyres, cassettes and chains, but the supply is dwindling. I also buy cycle clothing in the same way, usually buy winter kit in summer and vice versa.

Maybe it's the end of the line for cheap kit for a while, hopefully some firms will figure out the logistics at some point, but not holding my breath.
I do similar with some bits, I.e. chains/cassettes/Look cleats etc.
This is looking more likely to be a full gruppo purchase though.

Starting to look like I should have stopped procrastinating and pressed the button last year.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Stock of some groupsets is poor currently; my son's having to wait until June for his Ridley as they're out of Ultegra mechanical ones.

I picked up a lot of items last year - I've at least a year's worth of chains, cassettes, brake pads and groupset components spare. We've run through tyres quite quickly though so I've bought 10-12 Continental GP5000's from various places this month to cover us plus several other bits.

Supply is variable for many things, except the 7-8 speed kit, imo. I'd guessed it would be due to Brexit but Covid's also caused supply issues. We've only got one 7 speed bike however, with everything else either single, 10 or 11 speed - and now all our road bikes except one are 11 speed.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Groupsets used to be common at a 40% discount from RRP, even just a few months after release. I don’t think we are going to see those days again for a few years. I have quite a few consumables stored up, but an short on 10 speed for a couple of bikes. I keep holding back because I am used to paying a lot less, but it seems it will take a year or so before supplies and prices return.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Chains have roughly doubled in price during Covid. A typical KMC chain that could be had for £9-12 at the start are now difficult to find in stock for less than £20-25 :sad:
I usually had a couple in the spares box but mostly gone now and holding out for replacements in the hope that prices will return to my preferred level soon.

I have lots of spares of drive-train stuff, including lots of chain-rings, a fair bit from Rose.
Hoping I'm not going to have to rely on Wiggle/Chain Reaction in future.
Have getting on for ten bikes but none are above 9 speed.
Wiggle Reaction has little interest in my stuff.

Tom B

Guru
[
Supply is variable for many things, except the 7-8 speed kit, imo.

Not sure about that. Some of that has been hard to come by and has doubled in price. Hg41 cassettes could have been had easily for £9 and are now £16+. Z8s chains were around a fiver now getting on for a tenner.

I've found eBay of all places has been the cheapest recently.

Struggling to find a sensibly priced 32h 700c rim at the moment.

I know a couple who have a business in the supply chain and they tell me there is a supply backlog, they're being asked to give orders through to the end of year now, normally it's 4-8weeks.

My wheeling and dealing of cut price stuff has taken a bit of a hit too.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
We've run through tyres quite quickly though so I've bought 10-12 Continental GP5000's from various places this month to cover us plus several other bits.

Christ almighty, how few miles are you getting out of a set to be using them at that rate??
I don't think I've bought a new Schwalbe for getting on two years, and I haven't even started using a couple of good used ones that came with a parts donor bike yet. I've worn out a couple of secondhand cheapo knobbly MTB jobs, but all my decent quality road tyres are refusing to show any wear at all and I rode more miles than normal last year, and am clocking up road miles again now the weather is improving.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
@SkipdiverJohn - as @vickster 's put they're for me and my son.

I get about 1500 (rear) 2500 (front) miles out of a set, he gets a bit more from them as he's lighter. However, he's also using GP5000's this year for racing, moving from GP4000 tubulars due to a new disc-brake bike, and a set might only last 500 miles in racing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
His sons ride too, so presumably they’re not all for him?

I realised that, but even so that seems a hell of a lot of tyres to be getting through. I'd have to ride all day every day to wear out tyres at that rate. I wouldn't have enough time to do things like going to work!
Now I see from @DCLane's reply that the Conti's seem to be relatively fast wearing. I haven't even managed to wear the factory moulding marks off the centre line of the tread on any of my front Schwalbes yet. I can see them lasting for 10k miles at the current rate.

vickster

Legendary Member
I realised that, but even so that seems a hell of a lot of tyres to be getting through. I'd have to ride all day every day to wear out tyres at that rate. I wouldn't have enough time to do things like going to work!
Now I see from @DCLane's reply that the Conti's seem to be relatively fast wearing. I haven't even managed to wear the factory moulding marks off the centre line of the tread on any of my front Schwalbes yet. I can see them lasting for 10k miles at the current rate.
Good for you ;)
Now go race on them and see how you fare :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!

The GP5000 is a light weight race tyre, it's way different to what you usually put on your bikes ! :whistle: You'd also cry at the price. They are fast though.

PS I just threw out some lightly used expensive Michelin Pro4 condom tyres as they cracked (6 plus years old) and replaced with two £12 Zaffiro Pro's - I don't need the fast stuff, and these were cheap. The basic £4.99 Zafiro's on my Ribble I just fitted are as good, but wired not folding like the pro.

Top Bottom