Where are you based?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Yorkshire is where I am. Leeds to be more exact.

Having moved here from London some 34 years ago, to the horror of friends, family and colleagues, I can honestly say it was the best move I ever made.

I still go back to visit friends and family but when the train sets off from Kings Cross I raise my fists into the air and shout .................YES

peanut

what is the point of this stupid thread?
You have to wade through 40 pages and read hundreds of posts to make any sense of it.

Why doesn't someone start a seperate thread for the jersey relay at least.
We need to update the map properly .There is only a fraction of members on the map. I think everyone should at least put the nearest town or city in their av . No one is going to come round and nick your bike :wacko:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Below this one in the sticky section. It too has got somewhat cluttered.

There are of course many members not on the map, but it is interesting to see where the "cycling deserts" are like near me and also where in many large cities that are very flat like Bristol and London where there are loads of people.

peanut

marinyork said:
Below this one in the sticky section. It too has got somewhat cluttered.

There are of course many members not on the map, but it is interesting to see where the "cycling deserts" are like near me and also where in many large cities that are very flat like Bristol and London where there are loads of people.

yes and thats even more stupid . 50+ pages to wade through and the thread started in Feb08 for crissakes 9 months and its gone nowhere . :wacko: at this rate we'll still be talking about doing it next year and no further forward.

Someone needs to make new current thread a sticky, put the map on it and lock it . Just update it with news and progress etc . Then this thread can just run with general chat suggestions offers etc etc.

I started a google map with a coast relay route overlay last month and everyone has ignored it . Is there no one prepared to put a bit of effort into co-ordinating this relay

marinyork

peanut said:
yes and thats even more stupid . 50+ pages to wade through and the thread started in Feb08 for crissakes 9 months and its gone nowhere . :wacko: at this rate we'll still be talking about doing it next year and no further forward.

Someone needs to make new current thread a sticky, put the map on it and lock it . Just update it with news and progress etc . Then this thread can just run with general chat suggestions offers etc etc.

I started a google map with a coast relay route overlay last month and everyone has ignored it . Is there no one prepared to put a bit of effort into co-ordinating this relay

Well I've already tagged along on one of the jersey handovers. Although it is a good idea there simply isn't really the linking stages in some bits of the country to make it easy. We have the members to do it, but many of the linking members may not read the thread or not come on very often. At one point in the jersey thread some of the scottish people were getting very grumpy about it having not made it to scotland and seemed to think it very odd that it was still stuck in the ever so tiny county of Yorkshire. This was even though bonj and postman had both driven fairly substantial distances to make the handover happen.

Peanut if you want the relay to happen perhaps you should pester a few people in your neck of the woods. It is quite difficult getting people to agree a time/route. Perhaps a new sticky is needed. I just think it's lost a bit of momentum and people are assuming nothing is happening.

peanut

sorry excuse my grumpiness. I'm a grumpy old git today.

I think it needs someone to co-ordinate it and that person needs to have mod access to posts and threads.
I'd be happy to help but couldn't do it all alone.

I would suggest the best way to tackle this is to break the route down into roughly 25 mile sections so we can get some idea of numbers of riders needed.

List all the sections and counties then

members can offer to do 2x sections or even 3x if they wish and can share sections with other relay riders.

That way we can see the gaps and try to fill them.

If one member from each coastal county looks at the best route for their County and breaks it down into sections it shouldn't take long to do the whole country.

bonj2

peanut - dividing it up into counties, breaking it down into route sections, allocating distances and dates, minimising non-cycle jersey travel, etc, and organising it properly and having it generally more regimented would be a lot more fun in my opinion, 'cos it would be more of an achievement doing your bit, and you would actually be able to plot on a map where the jersey had travelled purely by cycle. This is what I originally intended it to be like. But, that's not what people on here want unfortunately. They just want to meet people, have a day out to a cake shop and take pictures of themselves with their bikes (and the jersey).
Consequently, the handovers generally just became meep-up-and-ride days and have thus been fairly sporadic.
Not much wrong with that, it's enjoyable if you can get the organization done, but there's not much to it, in my opinion, so my interest in it has largely fizzled out.

peanut

yes I can see the problem. Most of us like the idea from the comfort of our PC station but actually doing something about it is a differant matter. Maybe it might be more sucessful to organise something a little less ambitious along similar lines .

If the low numbers of members regularly posting are any indication perhaps the project was simply too ambitious. ;)

I reckon CC sportives might work. Maybe hold several in differant parts of the country.? ie NW SW SE etc Invite member's workmates,friends and family etc to make the numbers up.Might be worth doing a poll;)

ps apologies for not reading through the whole thread. I'm sure that you and maybe others have put a lot of effort into this .

marinyork

I think peanut you may be right on the jersey. A map may well now be possible. Looking around some of the threads some people are starting to self organize - mid central scotland, east yorkshire, north yorkshire, further south.If CC branches keep on popping up it might make the original plan realisable.

peanut

Neilwoo123 said:
Sorry yo ask but what is "pm Bonj"?

I would like to be on the map to........

Thanks

If you look four posts above this you will see our revered member Bonj :ohmy:

send a PM (personal message) and Bonj will put you on the map.:biggrin:

Top Bottom