Where are you touring this summer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toekneep

toekneep said:
Mrs TKP didn't fancy a conventional A to B tour but I don't like staying in the same place all the time. The compromise is we are cycling in a box and camping. The box has corners at Skipton, Harrogate, Richmond and Kirby Stephen. The idea is to explore the area more thoroughly than we might if we just passed through it and to spend one or two nights at a time in different places. Will it work? Who knows.

To answer my own question, no it didn't work to be honest. The Dales is too small an area and too relentlessly hilly for day after day touring. After five days we headed north west to the Solway Firth and then coast to coast to Tyneside. From there we made our way back to the Dales and home. It was still a nice tour but the lack of clear objectives was tedious and we won't be repeating the experiment.

toekneep said:
The Dales is too small an area and too relentlessly hilly for day after day touring. QUOTE]
toekneep said:
Agree. I thought I could spend a week exploring the Dales last week, but after 4 days (2 of which were half days) I'd done a full loop of it and so headed over to the Lake District for the remainder.

cedfromfrance

elduderino;1311223][B][quote name= said:
Agree. I thought I could spend a week exploring the Dales last week, but after 4 days (2 of which were half days) I'd done a full loop of it and so headed over to the Lake District for the remainder.

I live in France (Near Albertville) and I am planning a cycle tour around the Ecrins Mountains, via famous passes and climbs such as Galiber, Croix de Fer, Alpe d'Huez, Izoard, Telegraphe, Iseran etc... I hope to do the tour within 4 or 5 days. If anyone is tempted to cycle with me please give me a shout :smile: Ced x

Still doing the same trip (Bilbao - St Malo over two weeks) but have put it back to August 17th as I have a dodgy knee at the mo and the physio thinks I'll need at least a couple more weeks off the bike.

Moonlight

My first tour!

WALES.

Cardiff > Brecons > Pembroke > Aberystwyth > Snowdonia > Angelsea > Brecons > Cardiff :biggrin:.

leaving next week, so excited.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
My first tour!

WALES.

Cardiff > Brecons > Pembroke > Aberystwyth > Snowdonia > Angelsea > Brecons > Cardiff :biggrin:.

leaving next week, so excited.

I'm a few days away from starting my tour. St. Malo to Nantes. Along the Loire to its source. Then to orange. a quick visit to pont du gard or Ventoux or both if I have enopugh time then the European bike Express home.

Can't wait! :hyper:

jags

Guru
well i got back from a fantastic tour in the cotswolds .
bikepacker met me and my buddy at smethwich train station took us to his house in woster we then cycled to watlington for
a fellclub meet ,the craic was only mighty great weather fantastic people beautiful countryside what more could you want.
you know there's no where better than Ireland and England to tour as long as the weather is kind.

dragon72

Guru
After 5 extremely tough years of teaching in a difficult secondary school, I have leave the job this afternoon with no job to go to, and unsure whether to try teaching elsewhere or do something completely different. So the responsible thing to do is to go on holiday.
I fly on to Toulouse on Monday, starting off in the Central/Eastern Pyrenees, then heading up through the Massif Central, then across the Loire and back home via a cross-channel ferry. Accommodation will be a combination of CouchSurfing.org and municipal campsites on the way.
Can't wait!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
After 5 extremely tough years of teaching in a difficult secondary school, I have leave the job this afternoon with no job to go to, and unsure whether to try teaching elsewhere or do something completely different. So the responsible thing to do is to go on holiday.
I fly on to Toulouse on Monday, starting off in the Central/Eastern Pyrenees, then heading up through the Massif Central, then across the Loire and back home via a cross-channel ferry. Accommodation will be a combination of CouchSurfing.org and municipal campsites on the way.
Can't wait!

Big step and a good choice. Good luck with it.

pinkkaz

Veteran
Still doing the same trip (Bilbao - St Malo over two weeks) but have put it back to August 17th as I have a dodgy knee at the mo and the physio thinks I'll need at least a couple more weeks off the bike.

Poor you! I finally got round to booking our ferries - we're off on the 2nd Aug and back on the 22nd. We've left 3 weeks so I guess we'll have plenty of rest days (or maybe we can take the "scenic route" if we're feeling fit!)

vernon

Can't wait!

I wouldn't be hasty in writing off teaching as a career. I've taught in challenging schools for almost 25 years and have enjoyed it. Yes there are difficult moments and the staff and headteacher can make a lot of difference to the working environment. Have a look around, possibly as a supply teacher, and sample a range of schools before firming up your career aspirations.

Meanwhile, enjoy your tour.

vernon

I'm a few days away from starting my tour. St. Malo to Nantes. Along the Loire to its source. Then to orange. a quick visit to pont du gard or Ventoux or both if I have enopugh time then the European bike Express home.

Can't wait! :hyper:

Today's the day of departure :wahhey:

Top Bottom