Where can I purchase 'acetone'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Local car accessories shop and 5ltr of thinners would be cheaper, and work better.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
i'd just use nail varnish remover. It's dirt cheap, and like salt, vinegar, bi-carb and lemon juice, it can be used for all sorts of cleaning jobs.

I needed some acetone to remove a coating off my shiny new (copper) saucepans. Duly went to the chemists and they only had nail varnish remover which is watered down acetone. I started undoing the lids doing the "sniff" test - the pharmacist gave me a very funny look it must be said. Some are much more watered down than others so it's worth doing said test if they let you get away with it.

ayceejay

Guru
Unless you have made a complete dogs dinner of the job this cement can be removed from the rim with an eraser when completely dry or picked off with your fingers and once again if it is only a little bit it will wear off the tyres farily quickly. I would hesitate to use acetone for the damage it might do to tyres.
Having typed all that it occurred to me that you might be talking about cleaning a rim before putting on a new tub then acetone would do the job along with a mild scouring pad.

Archeress

Veteran
I needed some acetone to remove a coating off my shiny new (copper) saucepans. Duly went to the chemists and they only had nail varnish remover which is watered down acetone. I started undoing the lids doing the "sniff" test - the pharmacist gave me a very funny look it must be said. Some are much more watered down than others so it's worth doing said test if they let you get away with it.

As someone with an organic chemistry based degree I would agree with this. In laboratories pure acetone is not considered safe enough to use without gloves as it is such a powerful solvent it can be very damaging to the skin. Indeed when I worked in a foundry laboratory, we kept the acetone under lock and key to restrict access to laboratory staff only.

Hugs
Archeress x

pots and pans with burnt on gunk.
I shall tell the wife, it'll give her something to do this weekend. Cheers.

on the High St?

Hi, Im after at least 500ml for cleaning cement glue from tubular rims and tyres

Ive tried the chemist though the bottles just aint big enough

Oh I have Panel Wipe for cleaning new trucks and trailers, maybe I could use this?

Thanks

Haven't read the rest of the thread, but do be careful with acetone as its powerful stuff! Also don't smell it as you would normally smelll 'flowers'. You might do some damage to yourself. Wear a mask if you're planning on
handling it. It's also corrosive. (My dad used to work in a laboratory, so he knows his chemicals!)

Profpointy

Legendary Member
elf-n-safety wise - by "the sniff test" I did indeed mean a careful waft the vapour towards your nostrils - not sniffing flowers style. Treat acetone with reasonable care - as you would, say, petrol, and you won't go too far wrong. It is a fearsome solvent of many plastics, so don't spill it on your airfix battle of britain collection, nor on a helmet, and I'd be wary of getting it on any painted parts too. I'd not call it "corrosive" though. Fumes aren't good to breath, and it's inflammable with a low flash point -

Top Bottom