Where could I get methylated spirit from in my local town?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tinhorseman

I take a tiny lightweight stove for quick brews but for all other cooking use wood burning campstove.
No fuel to carry, burn leaves, twigs, pine cones (great smell) - just about anything combustible.
Home made from empty cans etc.
Google "Zen stoves" for dozens of ideas for simple home made stoves, also You Tube search - "wood burning camping/backpacking stoves".

Never be caught without gas again.

Happy cooking!

samid

Guru
I take a tiny lightweight stove for quick brews but for all other cooking use wood burning campstove.
No fuel to carry, burn leaves, twigs, pine cones (great smell) - just about anything combustible.
Home made from empty cans etc.
Google "Zen stoves" for dozens of ideas for simple home made stoves, also You Tube search - "wood burning camping/backpacking stoves".

Never be caught without gas again.

Happy cooking!
This does sound very interesting but how do you manage when it's raining and leaves twigs etc are all wet?

Tinhorseman

This does sound very interesting but how do you manage when it's raining and leaves twigs etc are all wet?

I have always managed to find something to burn, you might look under hedges, the dry side of walls etc. If the weather is dry but looks likely to turn wet then you can just store some dry fuel to get the fire started then put the wet stuff on, it can get a bit smokey but it will usually burn.
You need to keep a small pile of fuel to keep adding as the fire burns lower - you soon get the knack of cooking this way.
A down side is you end up with slightly blackened pans.
As well as the twigs etc I will pick any wood up in the grass verges when I am getting near my campsite and just chop it up upon arrival.

I actually cooked on one of these home made stoves at home for a week before I used it "for real" on the road, it is nice to know that if you had a power cut you can still cook something at home.

Sorry - I seem to have gone off "meths" topic :ohmy:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
You can add about 5% water to meths to reduce the sooting.

Also if you visit france go into any big supermarket and look out for alcol a bruler It burns the same and costs about a quarter of rip off britain prices.

Little yellow Brompton

A dark destroyer of biscuits!
You should see pans on a trangia.. there covered in thick soot by the end or am I doing something wrong?

You are doing something wrong, try adding some water to the meths, and make sure the windsheild is pointed the right way.

Yellow flame means you are overfuelling and will soot , you either need to get more air in the there ( turn the windshield) or less fuel ( water added BEFORE lighting)

OP
OP
J

J-Lo

Thanks for the replies, well ive got the windshield positioned correctly with the 'vent' facing into wind.. i'll try adding a tad of water next time :smile:

Top Bottom