Where could we go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Isn't Eureka in Halifax? Or are there two?
We've been before, when the big ones were the little ones.
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
TBH there isn't much quiet, flat cycling round here apart the Rochdale canal towpath and the Calder Valley Cycleway which sometimes coincides with it and sometimes diverts from it. I saw notices on the Todmorden side of the towpath from HB saying that a big section was closed for repairs after the recent flooding. Heading the other way towards Luddenden Foot would propably be okay though sections were muddy after the wet June, early July. It might be a bit drier now.

The best flat riding I have found in the area has been in the Wyre/Fylde district NE of Blackpool. We did a forum ride out there in the spring and I could consult my map and suggest some ideas. We went to Bonds of Elswick for ice creams and a good cafe in Knott End for refuelling and sea views.

Alternatively, out the Vale of York way is good. I did a ride out of Garforth recently. There is an RSPB sanctuary with a cafe about 12 miles from Garforth. You could probably park there and do a flat loop on largely minor roads. I found the major difficulties were headwinds and the 'climbs' of the bridges over the odd busy road. Main letdown there was the presence of 2 big power stations and electicity pylons dominating the landscape.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
It was the Rochdale canal I had in mind to ride along at first, as we have family at the other end of it. Not much use if the middle bit is closed though.
Mr6 won't go to Blackpool for fear he will be outnumbered and made to go to the pleasure beach instead.:thumbsup:
Names of any cycle hire shops would be helpful if anybody knows one.
I found the hebden bridge one's website and they do look promising, but only for the weekend.
We may just end up in the travel lodge at York and forgo cycling altogether though.

Top Bottom