Where Did Muddy Fox go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
This is what I don't understand about his model - albeit it seems to work. Donnay were not a fashion brand - they made tennis rackets. Some reasonably good players used them. I think one was called Borg, or something?

Why buy a brand like that and turn it in to something else? Same with Muddy Fox - they were decent in the day but not massively expensive as I recall. I don't understnad buying that brand and making it crap. Surely after enough years, people will forget that they were once decent and just think they are crap, and thus the brand is worth nothing?

You're right, eventually the brands he has bought will be worth nothing. But he's bought them cheaply, presumably distressed sale when previous owners have got into difficulties. Before they become worthless, Sports Direct push out loads of "associated" products with the brands we still associate subconsciously with good quality stuff.

Because he picked up the brands cheaply he can make plenty of profit on the back of them before they become exhausted and worthless. By then he's bought the next generation of brands to replace them. What he doesn't want to do is replicate the products originally sold before he bought the brand. SD is all about pile it high sell it cheap (and they do a very professional job of this IMO) so finally exhausting the brand is inevitable

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Doesn't seem to be the case in the bike business. New models for the year, old stuff wearing out eventually. Seems to support ongoing sales. I guess it's the same in boxing gloves, tennis rackets, fishing reels, hiking boots etc etc etc. I suspect it is more down to mismanagement of the companies....then Ashley pounces.
True. But even then the specification constantly gets reviewed [usually downwards] to maintain the same price differential.... to keep pace with the same quality you have to spend a lot more, and a lot of cyclists/ fishermen do like upgrades! The trouble with good quality, well designed and well fabricated products is they last too long. [I suppose, for the interests of the company's profitability, introducing limited lifespan is a good management technique, but then keeping a loyal fan base is a fine balancing act.]

Globalti

Legendary Member
It was a missed opportunity; Muddy fox was such a good and memorable name for the new emerging type of bike that you could ride anywhere that at one time it began to become a generic name. I remember people chatting in the pub and saying: "I quite fancy one of these Muddy Fox bikes... "

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Like his club Newcastle United!:laugh:
Many clubs would benefit from an owner like Ashley. He keeps them financially stable, isn't panicked into sacking the manager at the behest of the more vocal fans (Who would bankrupt the club in three years if they ran it) and he has the sense to understand that getting into the Euro League (Or whatever they call it) is a burden rather than a blessing. He's made mistakes, but overall Newcastle aren't doing too badly with him.

OP
OP
montroseloon

montroseloon

I remember having a Courier Comp and it was a cracking bike, think it cost me a fortune at the time as I was still at school and paying back my folks for it. Sadly someone decided to steal it from the front garden one morning and that was the last that I ever seen of it

andyfraser

Über Member
Interestingly, Karrimor still make some quality products which they sell in Sports Direct. I assume they may still be selling this stuff elsewhere.
They do seem to. I only buy Karrimor walking boots. They're comfortable, durable, they do half sizes (10.5 wide here) and if they say a shoe is waterproof they mean it. Best fitting shoes I've had apart from Clarks. Please don't tell me I'm going to have to find another brand! :sad:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
They do seem to. I only buy Karrimor walking boots. They're comfortable, durable, they do half sizes (10.5 wide here) and if they say a shoe is waterproof they mean it. Best fitting shoes I've had apart from Clarks. Please don't tell me I'm going to have to find another brand! :sad:
he's owned Karrimor for a lot of years now, if they're ok by you as is then you should be safe to keep on with them. I have a pair for dog walking in winter, bought from SD, and they're fine, warm, grippy & keep the wet out. Not sure I'd try the north face of the Eiger in them but for £20 a couple of years ago, who's complaining.

andyfraser

Über Member
he's owned Karrimor for a lot of years now, if they're ok by you as is then you should be safe to keep on with them. I have a pair for dog walking in winter, bought from SD, and they're fine, warm, grippy & keep the wet out. Not sure I'd try the north face of the Eiger in them but for £20 a couple of years ago, who's complaining.
That's good to know. I'd hate to have to find another brand especially as my 2 year old blue walking shoes will need replacing by next spring. I'll get another year out of my grey shoes and waterproof boots though. :smile:

U

User6179

Karrimoor is the same.

1) Brand builds a reputation for good quality stuff in a particular niche
2) Management screws up and business gets into financial difficulties
3) Sports Direct buys brand cheaply
4) Sports direct then stick the brand on loads of cheap stuff that they sell

Eventually the brand dies as its value becomes exhausted. By then Sports Direct have bought another brand and introduce that instead

They also let another company make Karrimor boots under licence ( not the same as the boots they sell in the SD shops), had a couple of pairs and both failed within a month and I got refunded on both occasions.

Top Bottom