Where Did Muddy Fox go

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montroseloon

Whatever happened to Muddy Fox cycles? I remember in the late 80s and early 90s they made some lovely looking bikes which weren't cheap either. Nowadays you see them getting flogged in Argos and at the Sports Direct jumble sales at very low prices

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Another brand bought by Mike Ashley to sell cheap products using a well known name.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Karrimoor is the same.

1) Brand builds a reputation for good quality stuff in a particular niche
2) Management screws up and business gets into financial difficulties
3) Sports Direct buys brand cheaply
4) Sports direct then stick the brand on loads of cheap stuff that they sell

Eventually the brand dies as its value becomes exhausted. By then Sports Direct have bought another brand and introduce that instead

AndyRM

XOXO
Karrimoor is the same.

1) Brand builds a reputation for good quality stuff in a particular niche
2) Management screws up and business gets into financial difficulties
3) Sports Direct buys brand cheaply
4) Sports direct then stick the brand on loads of cheap stuff that they sell

Eventually the brand dies as its value becomes exhausted. By then Sports Direct have bought another brand and introduce that instead

Dunlop, Everlast, Lonsdale, Sondico and Slazenger too. Plus a large stake in Blacks as well as some other shops. Ashley doesn't f*ck about.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
When a specific product is produced and sold there's a finite number of sales it can achieve before everyone in that niche market who needs it has got one. After that unless the company diversifies it will stagnate and no amount of management can save it... so it's not surprising that companies come and go.

Trickedem

Guru
Interestingly, Karrimor still make some quality products which they sell in Sports Direct. I assume they may still be selling this stuff elsewhere.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Ashley has just bought some "LA fitness" gym sites and is making them into his own gyms and charging £5pm subscription.
His plan is apparently to acquire up to 200 sites around the country and charge a £10 admin fee and then £5pm there after.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
When a specific product is produced and sold there's a finite number of sales it can achieve before everyone in that niche market who needs it has got one. After that unless the company diversifies it will stagnate and no amount of management can save it... so it's not surprising that companies come and go.

Doesn't seem to be the case in the bike business. New models for the year, old stuff wearing out eventually. Seems to support ongoing sales. I guess it's the same in boxing gloves, tennis rackets, fishing reels, hiking boots etc etc etc. I suspect it is more down to mismanagement of the companies....then Ashley pounces.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Dunlop, Everlast, Lonsdale, Sondico and Slazenger too. Plus a large stake in Blacks as well as some other shops. Ashley doesn't f*ck about.
He has a load of street fashion brands too.
Airwalk, Campri, Donnay, Firetrap, Hot Tuna, Kangol, No Fear, Lee Cooper
When I was a youth some of these brands were selling for top dollar, No Fear T shirts were £40 back in the 90's, they are now £5.99.

KneesUp

Guru
Whatever happened to Muddy Fox cycles? I remember in the late 80s and early 90s they made some lovely looking bikes which weren't cheap either. Nowadays you see them getting flogged in Argos and at the Sports Direct jumble sales at very low prices
There are two in my shed and one here at work with me.

KneesUp

Guru
He has a load of street fashion brands too.
Airwalk, Campri, Donnay, Firetrap, Hot Tuna, Kangol, No Fear, Lee Cooper
When I was a youth some of these brands were selling for top dollar, No Fear T shirts were £40 back in the 90's, they are now £5.99.
This is what I don't understand about his model - albeit it seems to work. Donnay were not a fashion brand - they made tennis rackets. Some reasonably good players used them. I think one was called Borg, or something?

Why buy a brand like that and turn it in to something else? Same with Muddy Fox - they were decent in the day but not massively expensive as I recall. I don't understnad buying that brand and making it crap. Surely after enough years, people will forget that they were once decent and just think they are crap, and thus the brand is worth nothing?

Top Bottom