Where do all the bikes go?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Every year in the UK adult bicycles outsell cars.

Where do they all disappear to?

In particular those Muddy Fox couriers, Suntour XC LTD equipped Cannondale M400s, Marin Bear Valleys, Spezzy Rockhoppers, Original Deore equipped British made Saracen Kili Flyers, Overburys, Trek True Temper 930s and 950s.

Landfill?
Sheds?
Abducted by aliens?

I think we should be told.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yeah i keep looking in skips for any old Zinns or Fat Chances that may or may not be kicking around. Hummph.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
mickle said:
Every year in the UK adult bicycles outsell cars.

Where do they all disappear to?

In particular those Muddy Fox couriers, Suntour XC LTD equipped Cannondale M400s, Marin Bear Valleys, Spezzy Rockhoppers, Original Deore equipped British made Saracen Kili Flyers, Overburys, Trek True Temper 930s and 950s.

Landfill?
Sheds?
Abducted by aliens?

I think we should be told.

On the train last night there was a guy with a Saracen Kili Team, lovely looking old bike. Assumed it was a knackered old BSO when i first got on, but the more i looked at it the better it got, very nice.

A. Technical answer.

Cars do about 12,000 miles per year.

A fairly active cyclist can still do less than 1,000 miles (I know many on here will do lots more) but most will do even less than that.

So if they sold in about the same numbers you would only see one bike for every 50 cars.

B. Real Answer
They are ALL in Oxford.

OP
OP
mickle

mickle

innit
Over The Hill said:
A. Technical answer.

Cars do about 12,000 miles per year.

A fairly active cyclist can still do less than 1,000 miles (I know many on here will do lots more) but most will do even less than that.

So if they sold in about the same numbers you would only see one bike for every 50 cars.

B. Real Answer
They are ALL in Oxford.

That's a bloody good answer. Both of them.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I know a fella who has bought three bikes in the last four years... he's been out for a ride only a handful of times :ohmy:. His wife makes him sell them when it's clear he isn't going to ride them regularly. He currently has a nice Boardman knocking about doing nowt...

gavintc

Guru
Someone once told me / I read an article (cant remember the source) that very few bikes sold live long enough to need a replacement tyre. I do not have the stats/link, so this could be an urban myth. But, it does make some sense and it would support the comment made by mickle - where do they all go. Once must presume that they gather dust in a garage / shed until rust renders them fit only for the skip.

gavintc

Guru
Davidc said:
Perhaps they'll all reappear when fuel for cars gets up to £15 a litre!

Sadly, I think the elasticity of demand is such that people will continue to pay for fuel and will cut back on lots of other things first.

Top Bottom