Where do I buy 9spd components?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davester65

Growing Old is Compulsory...Growing Up is Optional
SJS cycles seem to have a large selection of "Obsolete" parts.....

+1 for SJS, great people to deal with too. Another place I have sourced "Obsolete" parts from is Malcolm Borg @ the Cycle Clinic, he seems to get hold of a fair amount of NOS retro stuff from the 80's 90's & 00's. hth.

pawl

Legendary Member
So, the winter has taken its toll on the Sirrus and I need to replace some bits. Last time I did just chain nothing worked right until I also did rings and cassette so as that was a couple of winters ago I'm just intending to do the same again.

But...

Wiggle don't sell any 9 speed chain rings at all (let alone the 105's I was after) so where do people go to get these apparently obsolete parts nowadays?
I have been using a 10 speed chainring on my 9 speed system for some time without any problems.

OP
OP
w00hoo_kent

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Update, first commute in this morning. Short due to various reasons but still got to test all the bits and everything is running nice and smooth. Looking forward to having the small ring available for climbing Maze Hill this evening, it's been a while.

On Saturday I fitted (help fit, drank tea and watched a mate fit, delete as you feel fit :-) ) - 9 spd KMC chain, 10 speed 105 chain rings, 105 front mech, Tiagra 9 spd rear cassette (11-30, straight replacement) and a pair of very funky hand built wheels from our own @Spoked Wheels . We had a little problem setting up the front mech (I don't know if it was a flat bar shifters vs drop shifters thing, but it adjusted out with a bit of fiddling) and aside from that everything was good.

The bike runs nicely, the wheels suit the look of the bike, which was nice to see as I'd gone completely away from the all black look of the originals. Very happy with it all and looking forward to many miles of commuting before the next set of mucking about (unless the germ of the idea of replacing the bottom bracket with a hollowtech one takes in which case I could end up changing things again earlier rather than later :-) )

Again, thanks for all of the advice, really helped me out.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Update, first commute in this morning. Short due to various reasons but still got to test all the bits and everything is running nice and smooth. Looking forward to having the small ring available for climbing Maze Hill this evening, it's been a while.

On Saturday I fitted (help fit, drank tea and watched a mate fit, delete as you feel fit :-) ) - 9 spd KMC chain, 10 speed 105 chain rings, 105 front mech, Tiagra 9 spd rear cassette (11-30, straight replacement) and a pair of very funky hand built wheels from our own @Spoked Wheels . We had a little problem setting up the front mech (I don't know if it was a flat bar shifters vs drop shifters thing, but it adjusted out with a bit of fiddling) and aside from that everything was good.

The bike runs nicely, the wheels suit the look of the bike, which was nice to see as I'd gone completely away from the all black look of the originals. Very happy with it all and looking forward to many miles of commuting before the next set of mucking about (unless the germ of the idea of replacing the bottom bracket with a hollowtech one takes in which case I could end up changing things again earlier rather than later :-) )

Again, thanks for all of the advice, really helped me out.

Front mech are always a bit fiddly to setup for me, I got better at it over the years thought :smile:

There isn't a better feeling than upgrading / replacing bits and pieces on your bike, it's like you want to go for a ride regardless of anything :smile: Sometimes I buy bits and keep them at home for when I'm strangling to motivate myself to get out on my bike, then I say to myself, this is the time to upgrade / replace and the rides that follow feel wonderful and the good thing is that I keep riding for a while, without feeling unmotivated / lazy :smile:

Hope you enjoy the wheels, with those hubs you certainly won't go unnoticed :laugh:

Top Bottom