Where do I stand here?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

was the seller local to you ?

poor show either way , not really sure what to suggest . have you left him any feedback ?
Was about 90 miles away, so cost me £25 in diesel to collect, no not left any feedback, I don`t want to rock the boat yet...don`t know why

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i have sold a few bikes on here and other forums along with gumtree etc etc and have always found being honest is the best policy

i know this doesnt help you , but yes you would like to think other forum members are honest people

OP
OP
speccy1

speccy1

i have sold a few bikes on here and other forums along with gumtree etc etc and have always found being honest is the best policy

i know this doesnt help you , but yes you would like to think other forum members are honest people
Thanks biggs, Ik like your post, it isn`t much to ask is it?

colly

Re member eR
What about the rest of the bike ? Is it immaculate as he describes it ?

To be fair to the seller he may not have known the post had seized into the frame and in fact you wouldn't have known if the seat post height had suited you.

If you did inspect the bike and simply didn't notice it what else might you not be aware of ? Maybe the BB is seized into the frame also. What about the state of the tubes?

I think he could probably responded better to you but if he genuinely didn't know then what's he going to do ?
Offer to remove it for you ? Pay for it to be removed ? Give you your money back ? Unlikely. I mean he might have spent the lot and be potless.
The bike wasn't in such condition that it's un-usable.

I'd put it down to experience and just work out how to get it sorted.

Edit: I'm not sure he has ripped you off, not unless he sold it knowingly with a stuck post.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
It`s a carbon seat post and a steel frame
Ah, OK. A good bike shop should be able to get it out. If all else fails a framebuilder could maybe ream it away to nothing.

If you inspected before buying then I think the onus was maybe on you to spot it.

If you bought based on a description and had it posted they should have told you. Although if they haven't moved it themself recently they might not know it was seized.

Is the rest of the bike OK and as described?

ayceejay

Guru
I have been here myself and the biggest hurdle is getting over the fact that you may have been fooled and this hurts.
Knowing what you know now what would you say is the value of your bike?
If you can fix it and still be ahead on this figure you are golden/
My guess is that it is something like over tightening that has misshapen the seat post that may have been the wrong diameter.
Have it removed and replaced by someone who knows what he is up to and send the guy the bill (after you have paid it) it won't make any difference but perhaps it won't hurt so much afterwards.

Interesting - always wonder about this sort of post, what planet is OP on? So when you bought the bike, did you look at it? How closely? Did you give it a serious going over? Did you ride it? Might have found seat problem straight away if you had! Didn't even bother to look at it for a couple of weeks after you bought it, so obviously not that important to you. What's the comment about all being in it for the common interest? Haven't got a clue what that's all about?

U

User6179

If I was the seller I would take it back or offer to get it fixed , I bought a bike off my m8 which was in good condition but my first ride something broke and my m8 who was with me said he would half the costs of the part with me which I think was fair.
One of my bikes has a stuck seat post but I did not know till I changed seat and had to adjust height so seller possibly didn't know .

Born2die

Don't know if this works with carbon posts but the last really stuck one I had i removed the bottom bracket turned the frame upside down left it outside secure and poured a bit of petrol down the tube and left it overnight thenat released it but it was a pain to get rid of the petrol smell

Top Bottom