Where do I stand please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclist2014

Hello! I am new to the forum, so I am hoping you do not mind me asking a question. I have just had a head on collision with another bike on my way home. We were on a path which is for cyclists and pedestrians. It is not segregated off for pedestrians and cyclists with a lane each, just one joint path. Most people on that path walk on the right. So I moved over out of the way of a dog and a couple after that and was on the right. Came round a small bend and someone on another bike went smack into me. We both fell off our bikes. I have hurt my wrist and arm. Bike is a bit scratched and scraped and the chain needs fixing.

We did not swap details. Checked both ok and rode on (in fact as my chain broke and I was a bit shaken up, I walked on).

Question is what do I do now? Should I alert the Police what happened? What should I do? I do not want to do anything about my bike or arm, it is just one of those things but what if the other cyclist does? Please help.

Thanks

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC.
Sorry I don't have a clue if you are supposed to report it but I would assume not as it wasn't on the road, there are no registration plate details to take and we don't have cycling licences.

Hope you get your bike sorted and your wrist feels better soon.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Sounds like it is just an unfortunate accident and you aren't the first and won't be the last.

If you manage to spot the person another time, I would have a chat and make sure they are OK.

It won't do any harm to call your local police station and explain what has happened. That will give you some peace of mind. (not 999 obviously)

OP
OP
cyclist2014

cyclist2014

Thanks Rooster and Ianrauk. I have spoken to my husband who says it is just an unfortunate accident too, so think I will just leave it. She said she was ok (didn't say sorry though!) I did say sorry and was shaken up as I got thrown off my bike. I think she jumped off her bike at the last minute but I went straight down and over my bike. Luckily I was wearing a helmet.

OP
OP
cyclist2014

cyclist2014

We never swapped details, so she would have trouble suing me.

The rules of the road eg driving on the left do not (as far as I can see) apply to cycle and pedestrian paths. Is that correct please? We were both on the right.

yello

Chalk it up to experience.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I tend to cycle on the left of cycle paths and I think in general that is where a lot of cyclists expect. Coming upto a bend I would definitely be wanting to be on the left. I do cycle on some well used paths and most follow those rules. I certainly expect pedestrians to be on either side.

There is one place on my commute where the cyclists and pedestrians actually stick to the markings on the path, so that I cycle in the middle of the path (just right of the centre line going one direction) and then I go around a roundabout and where I rejoin the path the cyclist side has swapped to the other side. And the pedestrians also stick to "their" side and even look before crossing the cycle side to get into the MOD.

Slow down and maybe ring your bell just before the bend perhaps?:smile:

OP
OP
cyclist2014

cyclist2014

Thanks everyone.

Summerdays - I always try to cycle on the left. I had just moved out of the way of an old couple and the path on the bit I was cycling on was really bumpy so I was cycling on the edge of the soil (in fact lots of people do this as a path has been carved out in the mud on the right hand side as there are so many pot holes in that section).

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
But on a bend I would wait until after the bend before overtaking, I prefer to be a bit slower than do a risky overtake. Only this morning I waited behind a lady knowing I could pass safely in 50-100m time rather than push pass her, whereas the bloke behind decided to squeeze past.

We often criticise motorists for poor passes and I think we should apply the same respect we would like from motorists to pedestrians and cyclists too.

OP
OP
cyclist2014

cyclist2014

Thanks. I agree Summerdays. I did not see her coming and to be fair I think she was going for the same mud track too

Katherine

Guru
I've had a near miss in a similar situation.
Now when I meet a pedestrian going round a corner, especially a lefthand bend, I stop rather than go round them in case a cyclist is coming round the corner on their left.

Hope it doesn't put you off and you're back on the bike soon.

Top Bottom