Where do the all the work shirt wearers buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

Greedo

I've had a pink shirt in some shape or form since I was 20. Nowt wrong with them to be fair on occasion with the right suit and tie.

Just always thought I suited it and back then it was different.

goo_mason said:
I buy workshirts from whoever has them cheap enough in their sale. I'm also with Mr Paul - why waste money on workclothes? Sitting at a desk all day wearing a £10 shirt isn't going to be any different to sitting at a desk all day in a £75 shirt.

BTW - is pink the power-dressing shirt colour where you are? My work's full of them. Still, if looking like a girl makes them feel important then who am I to argue? :becool:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
philipbh said:
Obv. a fob watch is the answer - but then I'd worry about lapels on my waistcoat and whether to leave the bottom buton unfastened

I am very lucky to have a beautiful C18th silver half-hunter fob watch, which is the only thing I inherited from my grandparents. :becool:

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
goo_mason said:
Sitting at a desk all day wearing a £10 shirt isn't going to be any different to sitting at a desk all day in a £75 shirt.

I do have a fairly expensive Sea Island Cotton Shirt from Charles Tyrwhitt and it doesn't crease anywhere near as much as an "ordinary" cotton shirt and is a delight to iron and v comfortableto wear.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
johnhurteiny.jpg

FM - you are Quentin Crisp and icmfp!

philipbh

Spectral Cyclist
Flying_Monkey said:
I am very lucky to have a beautiful C18th silver half-hunter fob watch, which is the only thing I inherited from my grandparents. :sad:

Do you wear it often?

I know that this is a type of pocket watch - any ideas why its called a Half Hunter (naive question: is there such a item as a Full Hunter?)

Half hunter has a small glass window in the front cover, so you can see the position of the hands without opening it.

Full hunter or just "hunter" has a solid metal cover.

Traditionally half hunters were carried by women, full hunters by men.

BrumJim said:
However one thing is missing from life. If I want to give a diddly squat about the amount of pesticides and fertiliser used in cotton production, and the way that workers are exploited, and want a shirt in fair trade, organic cotton, I can only find one seller, who only does them in white. No hemp or bamboo mix available from anywhere.

Where? I've been looking and not much joy.
These are only in S and XL; one or two others on same site but not finding much suitable for work!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
People Tree
Bishopston Trading
or
Green Fibres here or here.

Yes, OK that is three suppliers now, but one only does white, and the other two have just two choices, one of which is white. And since I have three white shirts and one blue as per above, I'm looking for something different.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
philipbh said:
Do you wear it often?

I know that this is a type of pocket watch - any ideas why its called a Half Hunter (naive question: is there such a item as a Full Hunter?)

Hmm, going on Hover Fly's description, it isn't a half-hunter, but a full hunter (my previous informant will be shot).

And yes, I do wear it whenever I am wearing a waistcoat. It's is actually a very 'satisfying' object - much nicer than a wristwatch.

And dell, much as I like England greatest stately homo (and particularly his turn as Elizabeth I in Orlando), his style is a bit more, well, camp and flowing than mine - which can best be described as TS Elliot meets Mod - on a good day of course. Today I am wearing the official Canadian national dress of jeans, workboots, flanel shirt, and fleece bodywarmer, topped off with a woolly hat.

Thanks! I will also keep looking. I was mightily disheartened when looking before, to the point that I considered getting some shirts made, but of course you can't get the material either (grrrr).

And then, of course, some idiot at the shops will say 'there's no demand' - well, of course, if you don't sell the bloomin' stuff no one can buy it, can they!?!

Also spent ages looking for fairtrade embroidered fabric (think Sari material..). Nope, nada.

Top Bottom