Where do you feel most at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Arch recently asked the question, where do you go and feel that you are in an alien culture? i.e. where do you stick out like a sore thumb?!

That got me thinking. Where do I feel most at home (apart from home of course)?

I know for a lot of people on here that might be when they are out on the bike. However, for me my first love is judo. I've been a judo player for 27 years now :ohmy:. I feel most comfortable taking to the mat (otherwise known as the magic carpet). I know exactly what I am doing, I feel completely comfortable with all of the people who take part, I love the banter and the camaraderie. I know that I could go to any judo club in the world and within an hour I would have new friends. When I am doing judo my mind is fully focused on it and anything that has been troubling me, melts away.

So where do you feel most at home (apart from home)? If you had choice what would you be doing, or where would you be?

Mr Pig

I tried Judo a few years ago but it was too hard for a fat pig. Much harder than Karate.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Mr Pig said:
I tried Judo a few years ago but it was too hard for a fat pig. Much harder than Karate.

I wouldn't say it was harder, just different. Some folk just aren't built for judo.

yello

A very apt question for me as a new (ish) arrival in France. There is no doubt that I do have a continual anxiety living here - the language. So much so that my blood pressure was actually up when I went to the doc's yesterday! The doc doesn't speak a word of English (and neither do I expect him too) and whenever I need to speak to anyone in French, I get anxious!

That anxiety is bubbling under almost constantly, never far from the surface. The one place I can be guaranteed to forget it is on the bike. So ironically I almost feel MORE at home on the bike than at home!

Night Train

Maker of Things
I feel most at home in Scotland. I would like to have a furniture and light engineering workshop in the Scottish highlands where I can make stuff. That would be where I would feel most settled.

For now home is home, I have a well kitted out bedsit in my house above my workshop and it is the first place I have put together that is just for me without any external input or compromise.

NickM

Veteran
In a decent pub, with a drinkable beer and a good book.

Although I prefer home, on the whole. Does my bike shed count?

Whenever I am away from home on holiday, a big part of me wishes I was at home. Don't much like travelling - and hate having to be away overnight. My ideal holiday is a holiday where I get to stay at home with no work to do. I always find plenty to keep me busy.

Other than this, I don't feel I 'belong' anywhere.

I really feel that, in the words of Meg Ryan in You've Got Mail, I lead a small life. That's just how it is.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Definitely at home for me. I've got a day off to wait for the gasman to come. I've hung the washing out in the garden, planted some flowers I've grown from seed (cosmos and cleome since you ask) and mown the lawn.
Gas bloke has been so I'm cycling to the butchers for some lamb chops and a potter round the secondhand bookshop, then back to the garden and maybe a couple of hours ride this afternoon after a smoked mackerel salad for lunch.
Retirement will hold no fears for me!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
magnatom said:
So where do you feel most at home (apart from home)? If you had choice what would you be doing, or where would you be?
My fave moments involve solitude
1) Walking across (or cycling through) rather bleak countryside in the middle of nowhere, with no time pressure to be anywhere else.
2) In a quiet pub, with a newspaper or good book, with 2 hours to kill and a pint or 2 of Guinness.
:ohmy:

NickM

Veteran
rich p said:
Definitely at home for me. I've got a day off...
Sounds like a perfect day, rich... chapeau! :smile:

Retirement? Bring it on! (please)

PS Fnaar, you sound like a carbon copy of me! Except that my walking has to have company in the form of MsM, otherwise I'd sooner be in the pub.

Top Bottom