Where do you feel most at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Speicher said:
I think I would feel at home somewhere like Brienz, near Interlaken, in Switzerland. Lakes, mountains, railways, lakes, railways and mountains, and a steam engine. A large village, with bigger towns within easy reach.

See you there. I feel most at home in Switzerland, just along the lake in Iseltwald, for the same reasons you mention.

It just feels like I should've been born there.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Horace Goes Skiing said:
See you there. I feel most at home in Switzerland, just along the lake in Iseltwald, for the same reasons you mention.

It just feels like I should've been born there.

Yes, Iseltwald, lovely, except that it has not got a station ;)(I think) and it has not got a steam train. However, I could easily visit you by taking the boat to Iseltwald. We could go to Schynige Platte, visit the Bears (teddy) and the cactus * garden and return down hill by mountain bike.

The Tour de Suisse goes near (ish) to there and we can invite selected Cycle Chat forummers to stay with us. ;)

Speicher said:
Yes, Iseltwald, lovely, except that it has not got a station ;)(I think) and it has not got a steam train. However, I could easily visit you by taking the boat to Iseltwald. We could go to Schynige Platte, visit the Bears (teddy) and the cactus garden and return down hill by mountain bike.

The Tour de Suisse goes near (ish) to there and we can invite selected Cycle Chat forummers to stay with us. :smile:

Aagh! Stop it! I'm stuck here in London and I want be there! Now!

Homesick...;)

Speicher said:
Horace, you did not spot the deliberate mistake ;);) I think I should have written "Alpine Garden" instead of cactus. :smile:

TBH I've never been to Schynige Platte - I've always taken the train from Wilderswil up to Grindelwald or Kleine Schiedegg, or the bus up the valley to Lauterbrunnen.

It'll be on my itinerary next time I go...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Rhythm Thief said:
I feel at home in my truck, which is rather sad.
I was thinking that one of the places I feel most at home is my car. I have almost all I need in there and I've slept in my car more often then I should have done (when parked). It does everything I ask of it and it doesn't give me any grief in return. It keeps me safe when I am travelling and gives me warmth (and coolth) and shelter when I need it. It also has food, water and mains electricity in the boot and an over night bag for all eventualities. The list goes on far, far too long for it to be just a car to me and sometimes when I am feeling low I go and sit in there just to get some peace and listen to some music. It is a restful place to be and it doesn't even have to be moving to be an escape.

yoyo

Another great fan of Switzerland here. I have so many photographs of trains (steam and electric) and railways on my laptop. Too many good places to mention but the steam train up the Brunig was amazing, the Bernina Express incredible and I am so proud of my own photo of the Landwasser taken from above it. MrYoyo cannot wait to return either to the Oberand or the Graubunden. My only problem is my lack of Deutsche and I do get tired hearing a language I do not understand after about a week. I can get by with a newspaper assisted by pictures! My French is quite good, but apart from the food, we do not feel as at home in the French part. Must try to 'bag' a pass with the bike the next time we go.

snorri

Legendary Member
Night Train said:
I was thinking that one of the places I feel most at home is my car.
You have just reminded me, I used to have that feeling when I worked away from home a lot. It was easy to throw all I might need and more in to the car for a week away. If the accommodation was not good there was always the car with comfortable seat and radio. Missed it when I was on the islands and could just take what I could pack in a case:sad:

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
The one time I felt really at home was early in the morning, on the beach on Koh Samui, Thailand before anyone was awake.

The waves lappng the shore and a nice breeze.

Utter perfection.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Home is with my wife. I am a very much worse person without her. In terms of place, I haven't found it yet. We might do soon though...

Keith Oates

Janner
Where I would settle down, if given the chance, is Hong Kong, for me it's the only place in the world where I enjoy life to the full. For an activity where I feel relaxed and happy, it has to be riding the bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NickM

Veteran
Rhythm Thief said:
I feel at home in my truck, which is rather sad. Although I suppose it's understandable, since I seem to spend more time there than I do at home. I even sleep in it two or three nights a week.:eek:
So do you have mobile internet access in it, RT?

Top Bottom