Where do you feel most at home?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nowhere specific. I'm probably at my most comfortable in the middle of a cycling tour, or when playing a musical instrument of some kind, or if I'm anywhere with my other half. I've not lived in my home town for so long now I don't recognise it and it feels different. I would happily make vancouver, or somewhere in scotland my home as these are both places I would like to live.
I also know where I feel like an imposter, which is interesting...

barq

Bit like Fnaar, but:

Snowdonia - I spend a lot of time cycling, camping and walking there. I also have nice childhood memories of the area. The weather can be evil, but I always feel at peace there.

My office - I'm not a workaholic but I do genuinely like my office. We used to be very over-crowded but as we've thinned out I've expanded and managed to get everything exactly where I want. There is no office tension, just an entirely pleasant space. Pity about the work bit. :smile:

Pub - I'm partly thinking of my regular, but to a certain extent anywhere that isn't a) an absolute dive, or :biggrin: soulless/commercial feels homely.

mondobongo

Über Member
Fnaar said:
2) In a quiet pub, with a newspaper or good book, with 2 hours to kill and a pint or 2 of Guinness.
:tongue:

This is also one of my favourite things to do, if not out on the bike or fettling in the bike shed.

wafflycat

Home is home. Husband, son home from uni, cats, hens, garden, stream, birdsong..

Cycling Norfolk lanes in late Spring/early Summer is heaven.

Abroad: France, Germany, Austria are fine.

Italy: I couldn't wait to get home - the only time I've been on a holiday where I *wanted* to get home. The place we stayed in was fine: the owner friendly and welcoming - that place was great. BUT, there was just too much obvious 'rip-off the tourist' going on. A minority of folk doing it, but a big enough of a minority to definitely mar the holiday. Plus being loudly verbally abused by the bus conductor on the bus was not an experience I wish to repeat. He was a nasty bit of work.

Same as NickM and Fnaar!

Spending a couple of hours in a pub with a paper/good book, with some good real ale is heavenly.

Cricket was my great love (sports-wise) and I loved the cameraderie, piss-taking, laughs, and competiveness of team-mates and opponents.

Cycling nowadays is a good substitute, although I tend to cycle solo.

I would definitely feel AT HOME if I lived in a large-ish, comfortable shed! :tongue:

Spend a lot of time travelling/living abroad, but I wouldn't have problems being anywhere, really!

Wherever I lay my hat . . . !

domtyler

Über Member
NickM said:
Hadn't heard of the young lady, but having Googled I am bound to say that I doubt they would be big enough...

I'm sure I could squeeze in given enough lubrication! :tongue:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, for me it would probably be (apart from Home, of course, or at my sister's or Mum's), a nice relaxed pub or cafe, as long as I was with a bunch of good mates. Or one special person.

If not at family or friends, it used to be the old St. Helens in Swansea watching the rugby and occasionally the cricket. But now the bike has replaced it, plus since regional rugby has taken over down here, the atmosphere of a nearly empty ground has spoiled the game for us former regulars.:biggrin:

TVC

On Kinder Scout, on my bike, or in a glider at 3000ft.

Though reading that line through makes me look just a tad antisocial as it involves being away from other people :biggrin:. - I'm not really a sad loner, honest;)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Arch said:
Well, for me it would probably be (apart from Home, of course, or at my sister's or Mum's), a nice relaxed pub or cafe, as long as I was with a bunch of good mates. Or one special person.

Couldn't agree more.
It's sometimes the company, not the location...

Speicher

Vice Admiral
wafflycat said:
Italy: I couldn't wait to get home - the only time I've been on a holiday where I *wanted* to get home. The place we stayed in was fine: the owner friendly and welcoming - that place was great. BUT, there was just too much obvious 'rip-off the tourist' going on. A minority of folk doing it, but a big enough of a minority to definitely mar the holiday. Plus being loudly verbally abused by the bus conductor on the bus was not an experience I wish to repeat. He was a nasty bit of work.

I thought I was the only person I know who does not like Italy, for the same reasons as you mentionned. Bus drivers, train ticket inspectors seem to mistake me for a German, ;);). Fortunately that also means I can "blend in" in Switzerland, Germany etc etc, and understand the language and be understood.

I think I would feel at home somewhere like Brienz, near Interlaken, in Switzerland. Lakes, mountains, railways, lakes, railways and mountains, and a steam engine. A large village, with bigger towns within easy reach.
Now when is the next train to Basle from here? (Tomorrow morning :smile:)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I feel most at home in two different places mirroring most of the previous comments.

1/ At home. tdr1nka towers is an open house, family home, bike shed and hermits retreat all in a tiny one bed flat with shared garden.
2/ Alone in the middle of nowhere, either on foot or bike. Any break from day to day responsabilities with only myself to worry about.

Top Bottom