Where do you keep your bike (s) and other stuff in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have a purpose built shed for my bikes but it is cold in winter so I move them to the cellar where the boiler is, hence warmer too. I am concerned that, with the cold, there is likely to have condensation which will affect the metal parts, hence the move.
I also bring my cycling shoes, helmets and gloves in the house too. Clothing are always kept in the house.
What do you do with all your cycling gear in winter ?

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Wear it :laugh:
Bikes and accessories live inside anyway, on mats to protect the floor if the bikes are wet.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bikes stay in the Asgard year round (other than whichever is in the lounge!), everything else lives in the house year round!

Mine stay in the shed - no choice really

I do use them quite often and I check every time for leaks (enter jokes here about carrots and broccolli!)

I also make sure they stay oiled

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Mine have always lived in the house.
The tourer is kept in the living room and the other non powered one is kept in the hallway under the stairs.
Partners bike never gets used and so sits in the shed with all the other crap.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Mine live in the shed, suitably locked and shackled. They do get used regularly during the winter, so they are kept clean and dry.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The bike that I keep at my sister's house in Devon is effectively stored outdoors. I accepted when I took the bike down there that it was NOT going indoors!

It is in a securely locked back yard area which has a plastic roof to keep rain off it but there are enough gaps to let cold, damp air in. I was worried leaving the bike there last winter but it seemed to get through it unscathed.

I spray them with wd40 after wet rides to keep water at bay.
I spray that bike with WD40 and/or GT85. I wrap plastic bags round the saddle and handlebar, both to keep the damp off and help protect against damage when things are getting moved about out there.

My bikes up here are kept indoors, but I don't have anybody else's opinions to take into account on that subject.

My cellar is too inaccessible to use for bikes. There is a tight bend to go round and then a steep staircase to descend. I took one bike down there once to check if it was viable - it isn't - I almost wrecked the bike AND myself!

Main problem I have found is with anything porous - like bike bags, gloves, helmets and all that stuff
HAVE to come inside or they end up covered with mildew

If the bike gets wet I park it up outside and blast all the water off with the leaf blower - which seems to work well

alicat

Legendary Member
My bikes stay In the porch the same as the rest of the year. My clothing etc stays in the hall the same as the rest of the year.

Big John

Guru
Some are in the shed which is pretty dry. The bikes kept in here survive the winter pretty well. The others are in the garage, which is also pretty dry. This has worked well over the last 20 years at least. I'd like to keep the bikes in the house and the wife in the shed but I'd like to win the lottery too and neither are likely to happen any time soon.

Jameshow

Veteran
Forgot to say I keep the best bike is the end if the bed, the most cherished bike comes under the covers, and the winter bike drops oil on the hallway carpet! 🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom