Where do you keep your bike (s) and other stuff in winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Mine lives in the garage, all year round. Most cycling clothes are in my bedroom or on the radiator in the en-suite, but cycling shoes and overshoes by the back door, and gloves on the radiator next to the back door, helmet with the bike.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Most of the bikes are in a home garage. However I can't fit them all in; even with son no 2 taking five to university he's left another seven at home (race / hillclimb / TT / grasstrack). Plus there's mine as well.

About six bikes (vintage/grasstrack/Raleigh Pioneer) are outdoors under cover at the moment, with the valuable vintage bikes that'll be sold in the Spring currently taking up borrowed space in a storage unit.

Oh, and I've a Zwift bike indoors.

Wheels/parts are in the parts shed with clothes indoors.

Last edited:
Bikes under a cover, locked to railings, all year round. Spares and tools in a 300 litre garden box, locked, outside front door. There's no public access, so reasonably secure. And there's no alternative anyhow...

D

Deleted member 1258

Bike are in the shed, clothes in the wardrobe, shoes under the stairs, same summer and winter.

Reactions: C R

Panscrank

You never ride them?
Couple of times a week, down and around the Swansea seafront!

Cold/warm transitions create condensation. You should weatherproof your bike if you use it in all weathers. Use copperslip or grease on metal-metal contact areas, ie bolts, seatpost, pedals etc. I spray WD40 into every hole in the frame. Drain water from stays and BB shell. A steel bike can live outside 24/7 with the right care. Unheated, dry bike shed is probably best.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Several bikes in a spare room in the house but the trike lives in the car. All clothing inside and anything else which has got wet is brought into the house.
I do have 2 sheds and a greenhouse but only one could take bikes if I discarded all the potentially useful junk. Too much of a hoarder.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Our flat complex has a secured bikeroom Key fob entry only, 24/7 video surveillance. My bikes sleep in there (locked together anyway) and have been safe there over the last 9 years. Good thing too, our 1 bedroom flat doesn’t have a square inch to house them. :okay:

Jameshow

Veteran
Most of the bikes are in a home garage. However I can't fit them all in; even with son no 2 taking five to university he's left another seven at home (race / hillclimb / TT / grasstrack). Plus there's mine as well.

About six bikes (vintage/grasstrack/Raleigh Pioneer) are outdoors under cover at the moment, with the valuable vintage bikes that'll be sold in the Spring currently taking up borrowed space in a storage unit.

Oh, and I've a Zwift bike indoors.

Wheels/parts are in the parts shed with clothes indoors.

The marketing bods have done a good job!!🤣🤣🤣

figbat

Slippery scientist
I have a purpose built shed for my bikes but it is cold in winter so I move them to the cellar where the boiler is, hence warmer too. I am concerned that, with the cold, there is likely to have condensation which will affect the metal parts, hence the move.
I also bring my cycling shoes, helmets and gloves in the house too. Clothing are always kept in the house.
What do you do with all your cycling gear in winter ?

I have a garage built into the house, and it houses the boiler and hot water tank, so I keep all my bikes in a heated garage (sort of - the draft seal on the roller door isn't great!). Shoes, helmet and all top layers also live in there along with lights, chargers, tools etc. Several of the bikes and much of the kit continues to be used through the winter.

Top Bottom