Where do you put your bicycle when catching the bus?

Where do you put your bicycle when catching the bus?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I am trying to find out if people think that it would be a good idea to have cycle storage facilities near or attached to bus stops for people that choose to ride to the bus stop and then catch the bus to work
Where I live, it would be a good idea to have bike racks at major supermarkets .... local Aldi harumph, and Evans city centre in the pot too :angry:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
And some bus stops are where teenagers hang out and I wouldn't want to leave mine there. However it there would be some places where it was suitable.

Tin Pot

Guru
I am trying to find out if people think that it would be a good idea to have cycle storage facilities near or attached to bus stops for people that choose to ride to the bus stop and then catch the bus to work

Fair enough - I'm definitely not your target market cyclist then, neither I expect are most of the cyclists here.

Debade

Über Member
Many of the issues about bike storage and safety at bus, trains, etc have been addressed around the world. I am not sure if there is a 'best' approach but some that are used include bike lockers, bike shelters that are entered with a 'pass card' and have camera coverage. In places where I have lived in the USA, we simply had bike racks.

My approach was to purchase a very inexpensive second hand bike for my town commuting. Since town commuting is often just a few miles from home (supermarket, bus stop, restaurant, friends, etc.) most bikes that operate OK can make the ride. Commuting bicycles are built for comfort, not for speed, just like Howlin Wolf. So, if someone really wants to steal it, perhaps they really need it more than you.

Unfortunately, it sounds like racks on buses, bike lockers, bike racks at stores etc. are not popular options for most posters. In the States, it takes an incredible amount of advocacy to build awareness and action by officials. After a great deal of work, a nearby town here is getting improved bike parking with bike lockers at the train station. The plan started with a new parking lot but with the advocacy of bicycle enthusiasts, the project added the bike parking. A first for around here! Another town placed a few bike racks downtown for parking while shopping. I request my grocer, dentist, favorite restaurants, etc to buy and install a proper rack for my bicycle parking. And, in the USA now, there is a movement for Complete Streets legislation which basically says if/when a street is being installed/widened/changed, ALL users need to be considered and not just automobiles. In my state of Connecticut, they appear to be trying to implement the policy. But, this all took a great deal of work to raise awareness of elected officials.

Tin Pot

Guru
Many of the issues about bike storage and safety at bus, trains, etc have been addressed around the world. I am not sure if there is a 'best' approach but some that are used include bike lockers, bike shelters that are entered with a 'pass card' and have camera coverage. In places where I have lived in the USA, we simply had bike racks.

My approach was to purchase a very inexpensive second hand bike for my town commuting. Since town commuting is often just a few miles from home (supermarket, bus stop, restaurant, friends, etc.) most bikes that operate OK can make the ride. Commuting bicycles are built for comfort, not for speed, just like Howlin Wolf. So, if someone really wants to steal it, perhaps they really need it more than you.

Unfortunately, it sounds like racks on buses, bike lockers, bike racks at stores etc. are not popular options for most posters. In the States, it takes an incredible amount of advocacy to build awareness and action by officials. After a great deal of work, a nearby town here is getting improved bike parking with bike lockers at the train station. The plan started with a new parking lot but with the advocacy of bicycle enthusiasts, the project added the bike parking. A first for around here! Another town placed a few bike racks downtown for parking while shopping. I request my grocer, dentist, favorite restaurants, etc to buy and install a proper rack for my bicycle parking. And, in the USA now, there is a movement for Complete Streets legislation which basically says if/when a street is being installed/widened/changed, ALL users need to be considered and not just automobiles. In my state of Connecticut, they appear to be trying to implement the policy. But, this all took a great deal of work to raise awareness of elected officials.

Well maybe, but that wasn't the question. Cycle racks at train stations and supermarkets already exist and are used.

I just don't know anyone who would cycle to a bus stop. Don't they have bus stops by their houses?

Once they are cycling, why don't they cycle all the way to the final destination?

Are we talking about people in the deepest countryside, far from civilisation? E.g. Telford.

Pat "5mph"

Well maybe, but that wasn't the question. Cycle racks at train stations and supermarkets already exist and are used.

I just don't know anyone who would cycle to a bus stop. Don't they have bus stops by their houses?

Once they are cycling, why don't they cycle all the way to the final destination?

Are we talking about people in the deepest countryside, far from civilisation? E.g. Telford.

http://www.spt.co.uk/bus/bus-stations/buchanan-bus-station/
:rolleyes:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun

Why do people use a combination of train and bike or car and bike?

Either the distance is too far (for them), too hilly, time, various different reasons but I don't see a problem with combining different transport options. A friend of mine will use the local train to go a few stops with her bike, I don't mock her for her choices.

Tin Pot

Guru
Why do people use a combination of train and bike or car and bike?

Either the distance is too far (for them), too hilly, time, various different reasons but I don't see a problem with combining different transport options. A friend of mine will use the local train to go a few stops with her bike, I don't mock her for her choices.

Mock?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've already said I do the opposite occasionally when I don't feel like cycling 10 miles each way, it's not quicker but if I'm not feeling well I'll take the easy option. I think I've done it about twice since Christmas.

Tin Pot

Guru
I've already said I do the opposite occasionally when I don't feel like cycling 10 miles each way, it's not quicker but if I'm not feeling well I'll take the easy option. I think I've done it about twice since Christmas.

Ok - How far is the nearest bus stop from your house?

---

Hang on - you mean on your way home sometimes you don't feel like the whole distance?

Fair play, but that wasn't what I was talking about.

Pat "5mph"

Why the rollie eyes and a link to a Bus Station?
You did say:

This bus station I linked to is in a major city, people do cycle to it to take a bus out of town/to another town or to the airport.
Those buses are direct city to city, there are limited stops until the destination, so, no, there won't be a stop round the corner.
Most people would not cycle from Glasgow to Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Ayr as a matter of course.
This particular station has several bike parking facilities, plus a docking station for the local Boris bikes (Next Bikes)
Isn't there similar bus station in your city?

Top Bottom