Where do you put your bicycle when catching the bus?

Where do you put your bicycle when catching the bus?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Ok - How far is the nearest bus stop from your house?

---

Hang on - you mean on your way home sometimes you don't feel like the whole distance?

Fair play, but that wasn't what I was talking about.
Bus stop 5 mins, so I walk there, then take the bus for 50 mins about the same as me cycling it, then I get a spare bike that I leave stashed at a friends house so I can complete the last bit (usually a couple of miles from her house), rather than having the faff of changing buses and extending the time on the bus. I don't do it that often but for me it works to have it as a backup option.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
then I get a spare bike that I leave stashed at a friends house
What a brilliant idea!

andyfraser

Über Member
I've been racking my brain trying to think when I might cycle to a bus stop. Going to the bus station would be one of those times. My nearest bus stop is visible from my front room window but it's a fair bit quicker to cycle to the bus station than get a bus.

Tin Pot

Guru
You did say:

This bus station I linked to is in a major city, people do cycle to it to take a bus out of town/to another town or to the airport.
Those buses are direct city to city, there are limited stops until the destination, so, no, there won't be a stop round the corner.
Most people would not cycle from Glasgow to Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Ayr as a matter of course.
This particular station has several bike parking facilities, plus a docking station for the local Boris bikes (Next Bikes)
Isn't there similar bus station in your city?

Sounds like a coach station to me, I've never heard of an inter-city bus, but the op was about a bus stop - the thing that is usually at the end of your street and a local mode of transport.

Maybe they meant what you meant?

Shrug. It's hardly worth labouring the point any more, as I see someone else is taking up the challenge...

andyfraser

Über Member
There is that too. I would have to get 2 buses to get to the main bus station for an intercity journey.
Ouch! All our buses go through the town centre, near to where the bus station is, but often by circuitous routes. If I want to go from home to a place on a different route I have to go into town (about 20 mins) then out again (about 20 mins), even if my destination is only a 15 minute walk away!

Mr Foldy

I'm trying to find a use case where someone would cycle to a bus stop and then catch a bus. It's not obvious to me. Maybe it is to you.
My commute is 30 miles each way. That's not a realistic daily commute for me. And there is a 20 mile single carriageway stretch which is 60 mph, very busy with lorries and would be a suicidal option. Mixing the commute lets me use my bike for the sensible bits.

snorri

Legendary Member
Given that the OP has only posted twice since she joined, and the other post was a feeble questionnaire about carrying things like umbrellas on a bike, I don't think she's much of a cyclist or a transport campaigner. More of a promotions management type I think :okay:.
Yes you are probably right:sad:, I'm just too trusting of strangers, it's what comes of being brought up outwith the M25^_^.

If I did ever need to get the bus home, our buses have bike racks at the front...

52-route-w-bike_crop.jpg

Unfortunately, in the UK we have Construction and Use regulations for motor vehicles which prohibit the fitting of bike racks on the front.

Is this unfortunate? If I was to be struck by a bus as a pedestrian or a cyclist, I think it could result in more injuries if it had a contraption like that in the front. And buses do seem to hit people a lot. Certainly roo/bull bars lead to more pedestrian fatalities.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Is this unfortunate? If I was to be struck by a bus as a pedestrian or a cyclist, I think it could result in more injuries if it had a contraption like that in the front. And buses do seem to hit people a lot. Certainly roo/bull bars lead to more pedestrian fatalities.
I just read on Facebook that a local cyclist was struck from behind by a bus when the lights went red:sad: So I agree with you.

young Ed

Veteran
My commute is 30 miles each way. That's not a realistic daily commute for me. And there is a 20 mile single carriageway stretch which is 60 mph, very busy with lorries and would be a suicidal option. Mixing the commute lets me use my bike for the sensible bits.
from september 2016 i reckon, i hope to be commuting 25 miles each way, 5 days a week so 250 miles a week commuting. it will be on a mid level road bike with relaxed geometry running something like shimano tiagra possibly 105.
the route does have a few fast bits and really busy road bits but you just have to be careful and plan a route to avoid them as much as possible
Cheers Ed

I often ride the 2 miles to the railway station.
A "station bike" is a bit like a pub bike, you need something fairly low cost, simple, and low-key.
You need reliability and convenience over speed.
I would opt for a 3-speed with dynamo lights, maybe a shopper style or an old gents 3-speed. Pashley make new, fancy ones, but car-boot sale versions are just as good over 3 miles. Single-speeds and 1x8 transmissions also works well.
Folders are a bit more expensive and really meant to carry with you. For bus and rail carry (peak time) you need one of the more compact (and expensive) models.
Dynamo lights are surprisingly unattractive to vandals and you don't have the bother of carrying extra stuff.
Tyres are the one component where you need quality, and this calls for Schwalbe Marathon Plus. No repair kit needed.

sheffgirl

I suppose I could leave my bike at the park and ride and Hillsborough and catch the tram, but by the time I get there it's only 2.6 miles and 10 minutes more on the bike, plus I like to take a detour through the woods :smile:

Top Bottom