Where do you Store your Lunchbox?

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by MahatmaAndhi, 30 Jun 2019.

1. MahatmaAndhi

MahatmaAndhi Regular

Hi all,

I've just bought my first drop-bar bike, a Claud Butler Elite, which I plan on using to get to and from work, as well as general road cycling to keep my fitness up.
    On my hybrid, I fitted a rear bike rack and have a bag which I pop my lunchbox in. Once I get to work, I take it out and carry it about with me until I get to the work kitchen - which is sometimes after a walk in to town.

I really don't want to fit a rear rack to the CB, so I am wondering how you carry your lunch?
    A backpack would be the obvious choice. However, I have a lot of wet foods (salads and leftovers from the night before) because of dietary requirements, so if my lunchboxes go vertical, there's often a puddle at the bottom of the bag.

I'm looking for a Brompton style front bag, but I can't find one big enough without breaking the bank!

2. richardfm

richardfm Regular

It won't help you, but my lunch is carried in a pack in a rear pannier. I don't like cycling with a back back

3. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Cycleops likes this.
  4. lazybloke

lazybloke Über Member

Lock & Lock pots in your backpack.
    Stupid name but will contain wet stuff with no spillage.

Other brands are available.

C R likes this.
  5. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

My lunch comes from M&S, Pret or Waitrose mostly and not usually in a box :whistle:

Otherwise why not pack your lunch box in a couple of plastic bags so there’s no leakage if it tips up

Or just fit a light weight rack and pannier to the bike :okay: you’re commuting not racing

Paulus, C R and lazybloke like this.
  6. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

C R likes this.
  7. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

I used to use a rucksack for commuting. Decent quality lunchboxes eliminated - I'm may case - gravy spillages.

C R likes this.
  8. numbnuts

numbnuts Legendary Member

In the right hand cupboard near the sink

Drago likes this.
  9. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

I've used a couple of handle bar bags and they are great for load carrying, but can be a little difficult when the autumn comes and trying to fit front lights on.

10. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

The only thing I'd say is that if you carry hard objects in a rucksack, such as lunchboxes, computers, Uzi's etc, ensure you use a cycling specific job with armour to protect your spine. All the usual suspects, Deuter, Camelbak, etc, made such things.

Sharky likes this.
  11. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

I use the Topeak stuff, MTX rack etc on the commuter. On the trike I have a decent sized handlebar bag, again Topeak, which my lunch would fit in.
    How about one of those big blue Deliveroo rucksack boxes....

Sharky likes this.
  12. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Drago likes this.
  13. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Has the memory of a goldfish

I would use a rucksack and double bag wet stuff in ziplock bags to avoid leakages. That way if you fall off you won't land on a hard plastic lunchbox.

Drago likes this.
  14. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

In this environmentally enlightened era, those ziploc bags are frowned upon ;)

15. Kempstonian

Kempstonian Has the memory of a goldfish

Are they? But they are reuseable - almost a 'bag for life'! Just rinse 'em out! ^_^

Drago likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice