Where to attach tail/rear light on an L type Brompton ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

@ sheddy

I'm having difficulty seeing where a rear light fixture can attach to the rear mudguard on a brommie with no rack. Also on a brommie the mudguards are quite flimsy and form part of the wheeling ability when the rear wheel is folded (has a wheel mounted where the reflector is typically located) - unless you can indicate otherwise...:wacko:

sp

u-i - Unless you can link to your source i can only assume you're distorting the site rules.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/forum-rules.213557/
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/rules-for-appropriate-debate.213537/

No mention of spamming which typically applies to the promotion of the same unsolicited link or material within a website multiple times as well as sending the same message repeatedly, typically within the same domain, usually where the offence is made by the same person. None of which is occurring here, except by you.

Can i ask you to try and keep on-topic- thanks.

Last edited:

Kell

Veteran
Is there a particular reason that you're against USB charging lights?

Personally I find them incredibly useful as I remove them from my bike anyway when it's locked up (theft risk) and have them charging at my desk during the day.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Is there a particular reason that you're against USB charging lights?

Personally I find them incredibly useful as I remove them from my bike anyway when it's locked up (theft risk) and have them charging at my desk during the day.
If you use the factory bracket for the rear light on a L-Brompton the light is bolted to the bike, so no real risk of theft (apart from the fact that I do not leave my Brompton unattended outside anyway). The batteries in the rear light last for many years in my experience. So I do not see an advantage for USB charging in that scenario. But as the OP for whatever reason wants to go a different route regarding the position of the light he seems to find pleasure in making his life harder and to create problems where there are none. Maybe his refusal of USB charging is just another aspect of that pattern. :blush:

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

Hi
@Kell - AA AAA batteries will suit me fine where i use lights in a manner which does not require extensive recharging. Therefore a USB battery is likely to go flat or require recharging every time i use it which is not something i wish to introduce into my life.

@berlinonaut - I draw your attention to the forum rules for this site,
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/forum-rules.213557/
I caution you to adjust your behaviour by observing rule 2 and 5 and to refrain from posting further comments of the kind you make.

Kell

Veteran
OK - makes sense.

I just think you'll find it increasingly difficult to find decent lights that don't charge via USB.

For the rear, it sounds like you won't be a heavy user, so I'd go with the suggestion of replacing the reflector with the relector/light combo that is available.

There is quite a cheap option for this, but the name escapes me. I believe it may also take a little fettling to fit correctly.

Personally, I think a light that low down is too low for traffic (and I've had that conversation/argument in the past here) but others disagree. After all, it's where Brompton mount their hub-charging lights.

Then you could use the one you've bought, mounted high-up on the seatpost in conjunction with the lower one in place of the reflector. In those instances where a coat/saddle bag would obscure the top light, you'd still have the lower one.

If you do a search on the forum, it might bring up the one I'm on about. It looks almost identical to the current reflector, but has lights in it too.

OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

@Kell - thanks for the links - i've been asking if that reflector/bulb combo exists as a AA/AAA as i've only been able to find the usb version. I think it is worth the purchase on the slimmer model and will go ahead as I agree, good AA/AAA lights are now an endangered species.

I also think it is a quite low position - i've got a AA light that straps on and off to the seat post with ease. I guess i could use the rear omni-5 as a backpack or seat-bag light -
I'm inclined to not mount it on the saddle because it may become obscured by my coat and also it becomes a hassle when i resort to intermittent use of a saddle-bag.

cheers sp

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I agree - dual lights is good front and rear. Can anyone recommend a AA/AAA battery operated reflector/light combo for the Brompton ? The ones mentioned are all usb charging ?
Cateye Omni 3 is my go-to light. Cheap as chips, indestructible, lasts for ever on rechargeable AAAs. (Well, maybe not quite forever, but a long time). I have brackets for them on all my bikes.

I have one on the telescoping top bit of the seat post of my B. But whether it will suit you I'm not sure.

Edit. Didn't read the question properly. Its not a light / reflector combo. It's still a great little light tho.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

snazpizaz

I ordered the light/reflector combo Kell highlighted which arrived today.

Slightly disappointing in that the illuminated part of the combo is only a pencil-moustache sized line running across the top. (See image - 6mm width vs 12-15mm width of reflector below) The design could have given more space to the illuminated light i feel. Also the beam looks a bit patchy in places.

However i think this thread has completed as i now have 3 rear light options OTG !

thanks everyone. :bicycle:

Attachments

• IMG_20191218_173701.jpg
    IMG_20191218_173701.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Top Bottom