Where to begin maintenance-wise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
You do not need a Vice. Whatever anyone may tell you, you really do not need a vice for any kind of work on a bike

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
peanut said:
well I bow to your superior experience Andy even though you appear to have pretty much repeated what has already been said.
Better than a 10mm imo is a multi flat bike spanner which has 6mm, 8mm, 10mm,and other imperial sizes
I have to take exception to pliers though. Other than pulling cables tight they have no place on a bike tool kit.
Its the tool of a butcher along with a hammer and screw:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:driver

I would never claim that my experience is superior, especially with all the real experts around here. However, I always use the pliers on the leatherman for putting the chain back on after a puncture repair so keeping my hands oil free. That is why it's there!

Andy in Sig said:
I would never claim that my experience is superior, especially with all the real experts around here. However, I always use the pliers on the leatherman for putting the chain back on after a puncture repair so keeping my hands oil free. That is why it's there!

A pair of latex gloves would be lighter.

*sigh*

You have a point, I'm all for encouraging people to maintain their own bikes and taking something apart will give a fair idea of how it goes together but if it was exactly the reverse wouldn't assembling a bike take the same length of time as disassembling? Clearly it doesn't so your statement is at best incomplete and at worst misleading.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
mickle said:
A pair of latex gloves would be lighter.

You're right in that but I suppose they could be relatively easily ripped and there are of course the vaguely pervy overtones. My affection for pliers comes mainly from touring as the grip and twist ability they confer always seems to come in use at least once on a tour and not necessarily to do with the bike.

The bind boggles but each to their own I suppose. :biggrin:

peanut

Sorry Andy I thought you were suggesting using pliers on nuts and bolts on the bike . I hate seeing chewed up nut and bolt heads.:ohmy: Never heard of a leatherman ?
I have to say that in 35 odd years of cycling I can honestly never recall unshipping a chain. There have been a half dozen or so rear wheel punctures but then I have a braize-on chain carrier on my rear stays which holds the chain out of the way.

Plus I run my transmission bone dry not smothered in oil but I suppose you could always use a stick or leaf if you didn't want to get grease on your fingers and clothing.:biggrin:

edit :- I have just gone over my road bike and I cannot find a single nut or bolt head anywhere?? all the fittings are allen-key nowadays arn't they

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Both my bikes have got Rohloff hubs and I always end up having to work the chain back on after a rear puncture. And I'm sure that there's something somewhere which requires a 10 mm spanner. One of the reasons I bought the leatherman is that it has built in pliers.

peanut

Andy in Sig said:
Both my bikes have got Rohloff hubs and I always end up having to work the chain back on after a rear puncture. And I'm sure that there's something somewhere which requires a 10 mm spanner. One of the reasons I bought the leatherman is that it has built in pliers.
yes I've just looked it up..:biggrin: I hate carrying those all-in-one mutitype spanners they are so flippin heavy and you never use 3/4 of the bits. I think they might be ideal for touring in the outback maybe but there are better options for a 7 mile commute to work I think;)

There is not a single nut or bolt head requiring a 10mm spanner on a reasonable quality modern road bike.
However there are many nuts on a cheap end road or MTB bike like the brake pads,brake cable locknuts ,saddles maybe, cheap light fittings that clamp round the stays etc.

I was referring to the better quality bikes naturally :ohmy:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I refuse to rise to that obvious bait.:biggrin:

I've never sat on a road bike in my life, modern or otherwise, being the owner of a high quality tourer and an even higher quality recumbent. If I remember I'll have a really hard look for the 10 mm nut.

peanut

Andy in Sig said:
I refuse to rise to that obvious bait.:ohmy:

I've never sat on a road bike in my life, modern or otherwise, being the owner of a high quality tourer and an even higher quality recumbent. If I remember I'll have a really hard look for the 10 mm nut.

No seriously Andy i wasn't baiting you I suppose I recognise that I was advising tools for my bike and my riding circumstances whereas the poster may well have a bike with lots of 10mm nuts all over it :biggrin:

If i was taking my bike touring I'm sure i would take a much more comprehensive set of tools with me than my usual wedge bag .
Any major failure I'd fone someone to come pick me up but out on tour I'd want to be able to attempt most repairs I could .

Top Bottom