Where to begin maintenance-wise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love the fact that one can virtually dismantle a modern decent bike with just a set of Alen keys. The abolition of threaded headsets, 8mm crank bolts etc, brilliant.

bonj2

mickle said:
*sigh*

You have a point, I'm all for encouraging people to maintain their own bikes and taking something apart will give a fair idea of how it goes together but if it was exactly the reverse wouldn't assembling a bike take the same length of time as disassembling? Clearly it doesn't so your statement is at best incomplete and at worst misleading.

just - what i meant, by saying it is that if you take something apart, it's likely you'll SEE how it fits together and be able to see how itfits back together. I would rather people do that than be fearful of taking something apart because they 'might not know how to putit back together'.
pedantic tit.

gwhite

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
You do not need a Vice. Whatever anyone may tell you, you really do not need a vice for any kind of work on a bike

That's a very brave thing to say. There are times when a vice is invaluable in a bike workshop, and especially if you work in one where you are continually coming up against bikes which have had no maintenance and have frozen seatpins and stems.

tyred

Legendary Member
gwhite said:
That's a very brave thing to say. There are times when a vice is invaluable in a bike workshop, and especially if you work in one where you are continually coming up against bikes which have had no maintenance and have frozen seatpins and stems.

I agree. It's not even a question of bikes. A vice is one of the most useful things you could ever have in any workshop. I wouldn't be without one.

bonj2

gwhite said:

yeah steve, you absolute frigging numpty

Landslide

Rare Migrant
bonj said:
just - what i meant, by saying it is that if you take something apart, it's likely you'll SEE how it fits together and be able to see how itfits back together. I would rather people do that than be fearful of taking something apart because they 'might not know how to putit back together'.

Just don't try it with Shimano STI units. Ever.

peanut

tyred said:
I agree. It's not even a question of bikes. A vice is one of the most useful things you could ever have in any workshop. I wouldn't be without one.

too flippin right .:ohmy: my vice is tea and Xmas cake :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

peanut

bonj said:
yeah steve, you absolute frigging numpty
:ohmy::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: yeah Steve

bonj2

Landslide said:
Just don't try it with Shimano STI units. Ever.

i won't! - I generally regard a warning not to dismantle as directly proportional to the size-to-price ratio. i.e. STI units are fairly expensive for how small they are, so that sets alarm bells ringing to not try meddling about with their internals.
btw what about campag ones you ever taken them apart :ohmy:?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I haven't a vice....(clamp type thingy......) not needed one..... it's called not letting stuff seize up.

PS Don't fiddle with STI's/ERGO's - read... WATCH type components...will spring every where (had an STI fail just after I bought my MTB, many moons ago - so opened it...whoops...bits every where - took it back to the shop they replaced it - been fine for 15 plus years.....)

peanut

Landslide said:
Nope! I've heard that Campy can be done, but my mate tried with fairly disastrous results.

its supposed to be possible but I won't try it again. Very frustrating. I ended up buying my mate a new replacement lever after I failed to repair his faulty lever.;)

Top Bottom