Where to fix rear light, and recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

quercus999

I'm using a helmet light at the moment but feel that perhaps I need an additional rear light lower down for safety as I'm out in the dark twice a day. Problem is what sort, and where to fix it. I only have about an inch of seatpost, so that doesn't seem sufficient. I use (ortlieb) panniers so seat stays are out. Rear of rack is the reflector. Only other options seem to be to somehow fix one to my rather cheap and disintegrating plastic mudguard, or maybe a light fitted on a belt - but I've read a lot of posts from people who've gone down this road then lost their expensive lights when they fell off the belt.

Any suggestions for where to fit a light, and which light to get, would be very welcome. I'd like a bright, USB rechargeable. Thanks.

Sharky

Guru
Rear battery led lights are cheap and effective. Try taking the backs off and drill a couple of holes, then use zip ties to fasten to your panniers. If no light loop, try a big safety pin to provide a bracket. If attaching to panniers, get two lights, one for each side, so you can be seen from the side.

Helmet lights OK, but when I'm driving and see one, it doesn't always register in my mind that it is a cyclist. The random movement just confuses.

Also not confident with usb rear lights. Very bright, but if they run down, you can't pop in a spare aaa battery to get you home.

I use a USB light for the front, but always have a battery backup as well.

Keep safe

Both our bikes have combined rear light/reflector mounted on the rear rack

I also have 2 other rear lights - small but bright ones with rubber stretchy attachments - I have them on the back of the rack - above the fixed light

I also have 2 front lights - no excuse for not seeing ME

raleighnut

Legendary Member
+1 for a rackmounted lamp

Lovacott

Über Member
Both our bikes have combined rear light/reflector mounted on the rear rack

I also have 2 other rear lights - small but bright ones with rubber stretchy attachments - I have them on the back of the rack - above the fixed light

I also have 2 front lights - no excuse for not seeing ME
I have two lights with the rubber watch band type of fastening fitted to my rack. One is USB, the other is battery. The USB one has around ten hours of life between charges (I've tested it). Charges to full in less than an hour. The battery one is still going after 25 hours.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Legally, the light is required to be attached to the bike itself.
Busch & Muller make a battery version of the Toplight. It has a very bright light and a big reflector built in.
It can be had cheaper than the one I linked too but that should let you know the light I mean.
I use the dynamo powered version myself. Brilliant, brilliant light.

OP
OP
quercus999

quercus999

Thanks, that's all very helpful. From looking at the rack-mounted lights, most (all?) seem to be designed to fit a bracket which in turn fits onto the plate with screw holes on the back of the rack...but my rack hasn't got one so nothing to attach a bracket to. Is there a way around this?

roley poley

Über Member
glueing a long stripe of red retro-reflective tape down the length of your rear mudguard as I do helps and never runs out of battery life :okay:

On a similar topic
The supplied tyres on my ebike had a reflective strip around them
Once I wore it out (maybe going THAT fast around the local roundabouts is not part of the design concept) I got a Continental replacement
feels better and grips well - even in the wet
butblack all over - no reflective strip

anyone know if it is possible to get a 'kit' to apply one???

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Thanks, that's all very helpful. From looking at the rack-mounted lights, most (all?) seem to be designed to fit a bracket which in turn fits onto the plate with screw holes on the back of the rack...but my rack hasn't got one so nothing to attach a bracket to. Is there a way around this?

Rear rack is always, positively the best place for the rear light.

Most rear lights (and most rear racks) have holes where you can secure a light on it with tie wraps. There are many options for most rear lights to go on the rear rack, some are included with the light, many of them are very smart and even bespoke, but if in doubt, you can tie wrap.
Cateye rear lights tie wrap on to any rear rack nicely.

Top Bottom