Where to fix rear light, and recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
I was stumped the other week as I could not get my rear light on the road bike presumably due to a changed saddle bag since it was last on it. Resolved by with a loop of Polaris fixie straps around the saddle bag and seat tube onto which the rear light can clip fit into, fixies will need moving if the saddle bags contents are needed

Legally, the light is required to be attached to the bike itself.
Busch & Muller make a battery version of the Toplight. It has a very bright light and a big reflector built in.
It can be had cheaper than the one I linked too but that should let you know the light I mean.
I use the dynamo powered version myself. Brilliant, brilliant light.
their earlier one to be avoided though - very poor - prone to wonky connections - memories one dynamo of packing it with bits of cardboard I scavenged from the roadside.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Thanks, that's all very helpful. From looking at the rack-mounted lights, most (all?) seem to be designed to fit a bracket which in turn fits onto the plate with screw holes on the back of the rack...but my rack hasn't got one so nothing to attach a bracket to. Is there a way around this?

Can you drill holes in the plate to attach the light?
I personally made a bracket to fix mine to the mudguard so I could remove the rack at will without faffing about with the light.

That's a very nifty fettle, @Vantage . Me likey!^_^

OP, on the same vein there are lights like this that attach to the rear mudguard https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting/busch-muller-secula-rear-light-mudguard-fitting/

Alternatively, depending on the rack you have you can "build up" a support for a more typical light using some garden hose or similar. Not pretty but functional.
The normal low rear mudguard location is convenient but vulnerable to bashing when you flip the bike around. This rear MG fitting is a bit higher. Fitting just under the rear rack gives best protection. Most modern lights are too brittle.

On a similar topic
The supplied tyres on my ebike had a reflective strip around them
Once I wore it out (maybe going THAT fast around the local roundabouts is not part of the design concept) I got a Continental replacement
feels better and grips well - even in the wet
butblack all over - no reflective strip

anyone know if it is possible to get a 'kit' to apply one???

Get some reflective tape and affix to the rim - but just not where the brake track is.

You can even get black reflective tape that might blend in with your bike more.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Pictures needed really.

An inch of seatpost is plenty for a light, assuming there is nothing behind it to obscure it.
Replacing the reflector is the other good one.

I've used a small straight piece of thin metal w/ 3 holes. 1 hole for the reflector, 1 hole for the light bracket & the center hole to attach the bar to the rear of the rack (the hidden vertical strap is attached to the rear fender)

rear bracket.JPG

on another bike I merely folded a short piece of metal with holes at both ends. the light bracket uses that hole & the folded metal clamps onto a rear rack support strut

folded mount.jpg

Attachments

• 00 aa rear mount 1.jpg
    00 aa rear mount 1.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I think I mentioned in a different thread about mounting 1 on my left drop bar. in my area there is no limit to bike lights, just the colors, white in front red rear facing. having one on the drop bar gets me a little more courtesy room & helps keep drivers from buzzing me & cutting back in front too soon. they can still see it even after they can no longer see the tail light

mirror 2.jpg

2 rear strobes photo.JPG

the 2 rear strobes don't always sync together, it's just a random occurance in this video clip I took last night

View: https://youtu.be/xYbA6qQ1kno

Top Bottom