Where to get wheels built?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi guys

I've got a SJS Cycles frame in the cellar that I intend to build into a fixed (one day).

Who's good for building wheels? And how much should I pay?

Or: does anyone have a fixed rear to sell me?

And: what are those little adapter things that fit the dropouts called to stop the wheel being pulled forward?

christian dieu

Used to see some well priced Ambrosio fixed wheels on Ebay (just over £100 the pair I think)
And are you thinking of "chain tugs" to keep the wheel in place or something more delicate?

OP
OP
T
Hi

Thanks for the reply. The chain tugs are for rear-facing dropouts. As my frame is a road frame it has forward-facing dropouts. There's some sort of adapter that fits over the dropout and hold the wheel in place, specifically for forward-facing dropouts. If anyone knows, I'd be grateful.

TI

smiorgan

Wheel building - local bike shop. Mine did it for 15 quid plus materials - even gave me a discount because I'd bought a lot of spokes

Or you can get a wheelset online, a lot of places will give you a good deal. I have bought a wheelbuild from on-one and it's been fine. Goldtec will do the same - the hubs are pricey but apparently good value, their wheelbuild package looks like good value

For a chaintug for forward-facing dropouts - you might kludge something out of a BMX tug by filing down the tab on the inside. Someone linked on the fixiefaqs wiki managed to get an on-one chaintug to work. Other than that there were old cyclo chaintugs - chap on the C+ forum had one and had a picture of it - got from a jumble sale apparently. (edit - not the most helpful comment, sorry)

I didn't need one for an old raleigh with good tracknuts and a decent spanner (although I fretted about whether I would need one before I started riding the bike) - just be religeous about watching the chain tension

romans

Build your own! I do and it is not difficult once one has been on a course. A one day course will suffice for simple two and three cross. If you wish more info email me 'cos I don't get to my PC every day. I use Ambrosia hubs at £50/pair - excellent.

OP
OP
T
Mmm.

I used to wheel build down in the local community workshop. It was all a bit hit and miss with the spoke length though, and hubs were usually whatever was lying around and looked good.

Perhaps you're right. Except that I don't have a wheel jig or decent spoke keys, and don't want to buy them for a one-off. Are there any shortcuts?

(Thinks - how can I persuade SWMBO that we "need" a wheel-jig?)

FLYINGGATER

Hi guys

I've got a SJS Cycles frame in the cellar that I intend to build into a fixed (one day).

Who's good for building wheels? And how much should I pay?

Or: does anyone have a fixed rear to sell me?

And: what are those little adapter things that fit the dropouts called to stop the wheel being pulled forward?

What size hubs does your frame take? I’ve got a couple of wheels in the loft. The little adaptor things are called tug pulls. Back in the day we didn’t use them. I guess they make chain adjustment easier but I’ve never bothered with them.

Top Bottom