Where to go next

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I find your dismissive attitude towards any type of cycle touring not fitting your preconceived notion of what's interesting pretty disappointing.

It's not a dismissive attitude nor a preconceived notion of what is interesting. I think the OP seemed to be leaning towards a Euro trip, not a trip across the Nullabor Plain! A "challenge" to me in western Euorpe would not be there for me with van support and I am 54!

It all depends on what you're happy doing.

After a few year of summer touring, my degree of forward planing is now minimal.
I know I'm going from A to B maybe via Z.
A quick look at a map ( either paper or online) lets me work out a rough route.
I know how far I cycle in a day, so find out if there are any campsite towards the end of my next days.
Pack and set out.
I'll alter where I'm going as I go along, hence via Z ........ ^_^

But other people like to know exactly where they are going and where they are stopping.

That's a bit narrow minded. So if the multi-day tour included various physically challenging rides, but included van support, you'd dismiss it as "easy"?
Not at all! I think this is matter of definitions. This is the Touring & Expedition forum. I think what the OP is after is a "cycling holiday", not a "tour/expedition". The former means booking with a company that organises the details for you -- not a bad thing to do. The latter involves the months of planning and prep beforehand (which many of us enjoy nearly as much as the trip itself). Each to his own. But I do think the OP, in posting here, landed in the wrong place, hence all aggro/jeering he's getting. :sad:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Not at all! I think this is matter of definitions. This is the Touring & Expedition forum. I think what the OP is after is a "cycling holiday", not a "tour/expedition". The former means booking with a company that organises the details for you -- not a bad thing to do. The latter involves the months of planning and prep beforehand (which many of us enjoy nearly as much as the trip itself). Each to his own. But I do think the OP, in posting here, landed in the wrong place, hence all aggro/jeering he's getting. :sad:

So how do we regard people who use trains or buses on rides. Does every foot of ground have to be covered on bike for it to be a tour or expedition? It is no secret that you have to ride a lot of boring roads when you are touring to get to some interesting bits. The boring bits can take a lot of time.

Using my box trailer is just as much an expedition as it is doing it all by bike. I have done them both and they doing it in with the trailer can be more taxing as you get to different sets of hills quicker and you forgo the flat bits.

In the end it is each to his own but to suggest you have to ride it all sounds a bit elitist to me.

So how do we regard people who use trains or buses on rides. Does every foot of ground have to be covered on bike for it to be a tour or expedition? It is no secret that you have to ride a lot of boring roads when you are touring to get to some interesting bits. The boring bits can take a lot of time.

Using my box trailer is just as much an expedition as it is doing it all by bike. I have done them both and they doing it in with the trailer can be more taxing as you get to different sets of hills quicker and you forgo the flat bits.

In the end it is each to his own but to suggest you have to ride it all sounds a bit elitist to me.
That's not at all what I said -- or meant! :wacko: Isn't the crux of it "organise it yourself" or "pay someone else to organise it for you"?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Before we get hopelessly bogged down on whether something is or isn't 'proper' touring...
It's supposed to be fun, surely, and we all have our own definition of fun.
Equally, we all have our own definition of challenge, whether it be heroic, like LEJOG in record time, or pointless and silly, like Round Ireland with a Fridge.
I've done organised tours, and ridden in small groups, and solo tours. All different, and all a challenge in their own way,
Following a river, riding round a mountain range, (or over it, if you must!) or even riding from somewhere back home, it all works as a plan.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
By van supported. Does the op mean pay someone to follow you carrying all your gear? If so, thats a bike ride, not a tour.

I organise my own trips. But paying someone to organise it and carrying all my gear does sound appealing and I may give that a go in time. But that is not touring.

Touring is touring – to my mind it doesn’t matter whether you do it supported, unsupported, self sufficient, credit card or train assisted or even as I observed last year many people using ebikes – As to the challenge factor everybody’s definition is different – depending on age and physical condition.

What I do find it difficult to get my head round though is not knowing where you want to tour – it should be a no brainer knowing your own physical limitations and what time and financial resources you have plus some simple ambition to explore a particular place you are interested in.

:biggrin: Notwithstanding the above as a proper tourer I do look down on the rest. :biggrin:

If I had wanted a discussion on which is better or proper, I would have started a thread with that title and question. As it is... I guess this is just pointless and a waste of time asking serious questions on this particular forum
I wouldn't be so touchy. The point was valid. Psmiffy wasn't being arrogant i don't think, though of course tone can be hard to judge online.

bigjim

Legendary Member
I think it is all touring. To my mind touring is visiting different people and seeing different places, cultures. I tour loaded and light credit card. last year I did a supported tour for the first time. It was great! Met some nice new people from Europe and Canada and shared experiences and stories with them. Had no hassle or stress so more time to enjoy the bike. On the, no get out, on a solo tour. Of course there is. It's called a credit card.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Touring is touring – to my mind it doesn’t matter whether you do it supported, unsupported, self sufficient, credit card or train assisted or even as I observed last year many people using ebikes – As to the challenge factor everybody’s definition is different – depending on age and physical condition.

What I do find it difficult to get my head round though is not knowing where you want to tour – it should be a no brainer knowing your own physical limitations and what time and financial resources you have plus some simple ambition to explore a particular place you are interested in.

:biggrin: Notwithstanding the above as a proper tourer I do look down on the rest. :biggrin:

For me, the problem of knowing where to go arises because everywhere is so easily accessible now and I have disposable income. But being a Yorkshireman and having flown to Malta and back home to Denmark for a tenner with Ryanair. If any flights are now over a tenner I consider them to be far too expensive and wont go anywhere. Its a problem.

Yes (I remember when, not too long ago, it was a tenner each way) - on the plus side, especially for us mean gits, I suppose it's an invitation to tour from the front door - do it all by pedal power. Or use a ferry. Flying is such a pig these days anyway, with or without a bike.

Top Bottom