Where to stick a front light now I have a bar bag??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

I managed to fit the bar bag ok...and even kept the computer in position...but the front light had to go....the fixing won't fit over the bar tape (which I really dont want to cut or re do)....I tried the lower fork but it's to thin and anyway it's not an ideal position....anybody else have a bar bag and a similar problem?...

Rob S

With a Minoura Space Grip?

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..erm...not sure I understand the question..sorry ...bit dim....do you mean the fitting of the bar bag or the light?....The bar bag has a plastic 'rig' that holds the bag out front and off the bars themselves (its a carradice overlander bag). I could fit the light on the bars still but the bag is in th eway of the lights direction (therefore pointless)

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...thanks...but looking at that i dont think it will solve the issue as that fits to the bar as well, and unless it is high enough to go over the bag it won't work i dont think......I reckon what i need is a very big/large diameter clip to go around my bars and tape...then i could set the light off to the far right of my bar so it would shine around the bag ....then if I was on the continent I could fix it on the far left of the bars given i'd be driving on th eother side of the road....but I dont know where to get such a thing...

Rob S

Well when I used a bar bag I angled it down slightly and used a Minoura Space Grip (comes in a couple of lengths) to have the light shine over and beyond the bag.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

..wow..that looks interesting....but I have to say it looks a little like I'm going to need a sledge hammer to push in a drawing pin ....I only have one of those light weight small smart lights with the tiny battery...I'm starting to think that it might be easier just to tape the thing to the top of my bag.

DO NOT TOUCH THE SWINGGRIP!!!!!

The Spacerips are good and solid, but the bar on the swinggrip is attached to a small bent slip of metal which fatigues very quickly. The first thing you know is hearing your lights bouncing off the road behind you.

THe simplest answer may be to look at the cateye catalogue, or contact a SMart / Cateye dealer. Wiggle do Cateye fittings up to a size that should cover your needs

donnylad

:tongue: you could try sticky back Velcro the heavy duty one from halfords.
put it on top of the bar bag.

i got one of the reflector brackets that goes on the front brake bolt.at the top end i took off the reflector and got a piece of light steel tube the same diameter as the bars welded on(to create a T shape viewed from the front), sprayed it up and got two lights on , one either side of the bracket.i filled in the hole at each end of the tube with bar end plugs.

rob_mcp

the space grip will fit "the other way round" on the stem with the substitute handlebar bit pointing the right way - so you could extend your bar space that way without savaging your bar tape. I use a space grip on my trice where it has to go round the down tube bit above the front changer and provides a virtual handlebar for the light

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

Well I have managed to rig up x3 heath robinson options:

1) Using the origional clip (too small) I can place the light on the far right of my bars and fix it in place with my hair bands (i have a big pony tail)! Works ok for short no bumpy stuff....to the pub etc

2) PLace sticky back velcro pads on the back of the light and the front of the bar bag and simply stick th elight on there....works because this is a very light weight light.

3) My bag (carradice overlander) has shoulder strap ring attachments on each side. I can tie a spare pedal tie clip between the two across the front of the bag and tie the light onto it again with my multi purpose (pat pend;)) hair bands!

Nothing ideal...but all will work for now on a summer tour where it is likely i wont be doing much night riding anyway.

Kobie

I had this problem just last weekend - the guy in the LBS attached a bracket to my fork tube (so a few inches above the front mudguard) and attached the light fitting to that. Looks fine - though I haven't taken it out a night yet. I'd prefer it to be a bit higher on the bike, but I think it'll do fine.

Top Bottom