Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Canada

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • India

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Japan

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I was starting to think that i should have asked 'where was your frame made?' but actually this is more interesting.
I'm not sure the answers would have been all that varied.

All this reminds me of one of my favourite ever eavesdropped snippets.
Customer "What's the frame made of?"
Halfords Salesperson "Aluminium alloy."
Customer "Where's it made?"
Halfords Salesperson "I think it may be Tunisian."
Customer "That's reassuring, better than that Taiwanese rubbish."

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
De Rosa and Colnago's top models are crafted in Italy. Both have lower budget models that are almost certainly made in Asia and sent to Italy for a lick of paint and QC. I have De Rosa Idol (Italy) and Cannondale (Taiwan).

The below link shows the Idol (and others) being made. Looks a bit old school. lol.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=5277
Colnago - tube on tube frames Italy, one piece carbon, Taiwan

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I was starting to think that i should have asked 'where was your frame made?' but actually this is more interesting.

it's interesting in the sense of a cycling boom and that prices, at least mid level and above, must now be conducive to UK manufacturing.....but I'd guess that the tooling up and cost of breaking into a market would still be prohibitive.

I know where most of my stuff comes from but wouldn't have a scooby on the raw materials, of my 4 frames 2 were welded in Russia, one in the UK and one in the US. Powdercoating is two in UK and 1 in US and 1 no paint...but where is the powdercoat itself manufactured and where did the tubing for the frames come from? Looking at my components then it's pretty multicultural but again I don't know sources for raw materials or where all manufacturing of bits takes place, my rough list is:-

Germany - Rohloff, SON, Supernova, Ortlieb, Schwalbe
France - Mavic
Russia - Burls frame building
UK - Brooks, Hope, Wheelcraft, TaylormadeBikes, Burls Design, Aurora Powdercoatings
US - Thomson, Bike Friday
Asia - Shimano, Topeak, On-One, Surly, Superstar, Avid, Rockshox, Salsa, Goodridge

That pretty much covers what I'm aware of but I certainly don't know the full supply chain

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
...... Looking at my components then it's pretty multicultural but again I don't know sources for raw materials or where all manufacturing of bits takes place, my rough list is:-

Germany - Rohloff, SON, Supernova, Ortlieb, Schwalbe
France - Mavic
Russia - Burls frame building
UK - Brooks, Hope, Wheelcraft, TaylormadeBikes, Burls Design, Aurora Powdercoatings
US - Thomson, Bike Friday
Asia - Shimano, Topeak, On-One, Surly, Superstar, Avid, Rockshox, Salsa, Goodridge

That pretty much covers what I'm aware of but I certainly don't know the full supply chain

My Mavic Aksiums are stickered 'Made in Romania', and I read that Mavic is Norwegian owned ....... and isn't Brooks owned by Selle Italia? We are opening a can of worms.

VamP

Banned
Bianchi - says made in Italy, though I suspect that means painted in Italy. But with Campag, so kinda Italian.
Kinesis - designed in UK, made in Taiwan, painted in Taiwan, assembled in my bedroom.
Pace - designed (and I believe) made in Yorkshire, by the same dwarves that made Cubists Soul, but on a Friday afternoon.
Spesh - 1994 cromo so made in the good ol' US.
Cube - fark knows.

hmmmm... let's see.
The Oranges - assembled in the UK, frames sourced from Taiwan and finished here. Some of their frames are now made in the UK.
The Pinarello (still in bits) - old enough to have been made in Italy
the Fuquay - made in the UK, i believe, but by an american
Pegoretti - Italy, definite.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ribble 653 - Lancashire somewhere - sports Terry Dolans initials

Herety - Frame built at 190 Higher Hillgate, Stockport. Painted in Liverpool by C&G Finishes (274B Smithdown Road - well thats where they are now). Tubes of the finest Columbus SLX from Itally :thumbsup: How's that for accurate !

Diamond Back MTB - Tange Cromo - probably Taiwan

Fixed - Aluminium prob Taiwan, painted where ever my LBS gets them done !

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
2 sport stickers stating Made in China (1 is carbon, the other is a Columbus Airplane alu tubeset)
1 sports print stating Handmade in USA (aluminium frame)

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Bianchi - says made in Italy, though I suspect that means painted in Italy. But with Campag, so kinda Italian.
Kinesis - designed in UK, made in Taiwan, painted in Taiwan, assembled in my bedroom.
Pace - designed (and I believe) made in Yorkshire, by the same dwarves that made Cubists Soul, but on a Friday afternoon.
Spesh - 1994 cromo so made in the good ol' US.
Cube - f*** knows.
Taiwan bud. is it the Olive one? if so one of the best bikes ever.

VamP

Banned
Taiwan bud. is it the Olive one? if so one of the best bikes ever.

It's a maroon (kinda) Rockhopper. I doubt it's the best bike ever, as I have four others that are all better ^_^. Says made in USA on the frame - I have obviously fallen for the painting thing again :laugh:

Pics of your Viking anywhere? And the Orbit for that matter?

Top Bottom