Where's all the rim brakes gone?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
Are they on their way out?
Just been to four decent-ish local bike shops for a set of calipers for a road bike and all there was available was a single front Shimano 105 in one, a single front Sora and another and a set of Ultegra in a third.
And only Shimano.
Plenty on the bikes on display, just not for sale separately :thumbsdown:

VamP

Banned
on line shopping

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
I realise that there's loads available mail order, but wondered why there appears to be a dearth of road bike rim brakes when every other component seems to be stocked.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I realise that there's loads available mail order, but wondered why there appears to be a dearth of road bike rim brakes when every other component seems to be stocked.

Crap bike shops with too little working capital = hardly any stock.

The UK's biggest cycle shop had a few Topeak saddles, a couple of Bontragers and a tiny Ortlieb Micro the other day - I was overwhelmed by the choice tbh. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
Crap bike shops with too little working capital = hardly any stock.

The UK's biggest cycle shop had a few Topeak saddles, a couple of Bontragers and a tiny Ortlieb Micro the other day - I was overwhelmed by the choice tbh. :rolleyes:
In all the shops I looked, there was plenty of stock. Just very few rim brakes........

Were these urban bike shops near fashionable coffee bars?

You may find that they have a huge stock of skiddable, multi-hued fixie tyres to meet the enormous demand and almost no stock of brake parts to reflect the almost immeasurably miniscule demand...

Just a thought.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You won't find many disc brakes for sale in shops either; usually a smart display cabinet with a few Hope goodies inside and that's it.

Top Bottom