Where's everyone gone.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

compo

Veteran
I went out this morning and did 40 miles on a route that is pretty popular with cyclists, normally. This morning was a bit chilly and very windy. I only saw half a dozen cyclists all morning whereas all through the summer the route has been crawling with them. Even the usual couple of watering holes were deserted and I didn't have to queue for half hour to get a hot drink. This seems to happen every year about now so where do cyclists go in the winter. Do they hibernate, get a pink leotard and join a gym, or just say stuff it, it's too cold and go back to sleep.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If they can't hack your warm southern winds, there's no chance of them cycling in the wind and rain up here!:rain:

oldroadman

Veteran
More people out in nice weather, simple. I recall recently Sean Kelly chatting on TV about going out in poor weather. He said he didn't bother now, when he was paid to do it there was no choice, but now it's all different. I know just how he feels!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Have you also noticed the difference in temperature between riding in the sun and riding in the shade at this time of year? Quite a bit of my 40 mile ride yesterday was in shaded area and my fingers were going cold until I got into the sun again. Not many cyclists on the road either.

paul04

Über Member
I only seen 2 people out on there bikes today, I knew it was going to rain today, so this morning I adjusted my front gears(the chain kept slipping off when I changed to the inner cog)
and thought I will go out for quick test around the block, 18 miles later and I got back home,once I got going I was nice and warm. and the gears work fine now.

jayonabike