Where's the best place(s) to live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Northumberland is a wonderful county. Apart from the fact the folk are friendly, get out of the depressed post-industrial south-east of the county and you are into mile after mile of glorious countryside: the Cheviots, rolling moors, fabulous castles on a cost with mile after mile of golden sand beaches, heather on the moors, Roman forts, and my favourite place in the whole of the UK: Cragside on the outskirts of Rothbury - the first house in the world to have electric lighting - powered by hydroelectric power from lakes on the estate http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-cragsidehousegardenandestate/ also with it's own strain of bees living between floors of the house.. producing own unique honey been there since the house was built. Wallington Hall with its amazing collection of dolls' houses.. Lindisfarne only accessable when the tide is out.. The Farnes with amazing wildlife.. Bamburgh Castle (and you have to have tea & cake at the Copper Kettle), Alnwick Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle... Ingram Valley..

I could go on..

graham56

Guru
wafflycat said:
Northumberland is a wonderful county. Apart from the fact the folk are friendly, get out of the depressed post-industrial south-east of the county and you are into mile after mile of glorious countryside: the Cheviots, rolling moors, fabulous castles on a cost with mile after mile of golden sand beaches, heather on the moors, Roman forts, and my favourite place in the whole of the UK: Cragside on the outskirts of Rothbury - the first house in the world to have electric lighting - powered by hydroelectric power from lakes on the estate http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-cragsidehousegardenandestate/ also with it's own strain of bees living between floors of the house.. producing own unique honey been there since the house was built. Wallington Hall with its amazing collection of dolls' houses.. Lindisfarne only accessable when the tide is out.. The Farnes with amazing wildlife.. Bamburgh Castle (and you have to have tea & cake at the Copper Kettle), Alnwick Castle, Dunstanburgh Castle... Ingram Valley..

I could go on..
Shhhhhhhhhhh Wafflycat, don`t give to much away or everyone will want a piece of the place.:biggrin:

Melvil

rikki said:
Not relevant at all for people who don't want to emigrate, but I had to translate Melvil's comment -

:biggrin:

I knew someone from Adelaide who constantly raved about the place and how it was different from the rest of Oz. Perhaps she was right? :biggrin:

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
walker said:
Peckham, something new happens there everyday and you get plenty of exercise running away from muggers.

As we denizens of Sarf London say;

'If you can't beat them, Peckham, and if you can't Peckham, Balham.'

But seriously, depending on the level of self sustainability, the south west of Ireland is the place for me.

Tx

Plax

Guru
Patrick Stevens said:
Drink driving is virtually mandatory, there are three Masonic lodges in every village, and if you want to marry your sister, then that's a matter for you. Truly, North West Wales is the place to be. :biggrin:

Tut tut Patrick, jealousy doesn't become you :biggrin:

I get bored easily, and I'm a sucker for good food, so.....if not London, then it would be Beirut or Mexico City. Mrs L and I considered New York, but she says that New York is dull.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
You should try Tokyo then, simon, it is the best city in the world for food as far as I am concerned and certainly very far from boring... great place to cycle too, strangely enough.

The only places I have ever found truly dull have all been in Britain and mostly in Lincolnshire ;)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
simon l& and a half said:
I have been to Tokyo. It's all very coded.

In a way, it's not like a city at all. It's not a melting pot (although I may be well out of date)

It is certainly not a western city... and indeed it is very coded. Luckily I have inside information.

mcd

domtyler said:
I am kind of resigned to being stuck working in London for the foreseeable future due to a lack of big financial corporations in other areas of the country.

I like it here on Jersey - though I miss the hills near Glasgow, & Reading's close proximity to London for public transport to other parts of the UK and Europe. But it's a lot drier here, and the traffic is much less manic so I can't really complain. If big financial corporations is requirement, there are more than enough of them here - which is fine until you want to buy a house. With the average price of a 3 bed house at 475K, it would seem I'm not the only one who likes it here!

curve

Come and live in Brighton.

I hear the commute is not really that bad and you could always take your bike on the train in the morning and then ride it home.

Top Bottom