Where's the best place(s) to live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

what sort of lifestyle do you want? Until you've answered that it's hard to think where would suit you best. In total ignorance, as I've never lived there, I'll say that London is as good as city living gets.

If you want good weather then down to the med with you.

If you want remote then St Kilda's for you.

If you want suburban living then, eh, anywhere in the UK!

If you want picturesque then any of the spa towns or York or SW or Snowdonia or anywhere north of Stirling or Northumberland or the lakes or or or or!!!!!!!!!!

We (me and the Mrs) often ask ourselves if we could do rural living and the answer is always no for me. I like convenience too much, plus in Scotland you're never far away from a bit of countryside anyways.

If I could choose anywhere then it'd probably be Paris though.

simonali

Guru
A small village with a paper shop and a pub, no traffic, leafy lanes for cycling and plenty of footpaths/bridleways for dog walking. That'd be me happy!

gavintc

Guru
I have lived in a fair few places in my time. I found the SE of England just too busy and the people not that friendly. Plymouth was nice, easy access to the SW and friendly locals. I liked Beverley, nice little market town, great cycling and enough restaurants and pubs to have a night out. I spent 3 yrs in Canada - great place but blooming cold from Oct - Apr. I found Germany just too organised. I think, small town France - not sure where - would be my place of choice, but not for now. Maybe once I have retired. Currently enjoying central Edinburgh and the buzz of living in the heart of the city. Pubs and restaurants within yards of my front door. But, the cycling is not great. It takes me 20 mins to get free of traffic lights and heavy traffic.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
gavintc said:
Plymouth was nice

I assume the use of the past tense is significant. I've not heard that kind of sentence uttered in the present tense.....

I've heard the word 'dump' used though....

radger

Veteran
TheDoctor said:
What did you think of Sherkin? I've not been, though I have passed it a good number of times, on the way to Cape.

I really liked it - it's a really pretty island, and the people were great. There are 2 pubs there, and nice beaches; there's quite a variety of beach types, so there is loads of wildlife. Definitely worth a daytrip IMO.
I was going to scan the photo of it that's stuck to my computer, but our scanner only seems to do black and white.

surfgurl

We're enjoying living in Somerset, having lived in Wales and London. It's a nice, relaxed pace of life here, no-one is in a hurry. Most people work some distance from their jobs so you could get some good commuting in. It's mostly flat so you wouldn't have killer hills to contend with. And Bristol is only up the M5 for when you want some busy time.

wafflycat

simonali said:
A small village with a paper shop and a pub, no traffic, leafy lanes for cycling and plenty of footpaths/bridleways for dog walking. That'd be me happy!

You describe many a Norfolk village - well, little traffic as opposed to no traffic. I'll be happy to spend the rest of my days in Norfolk.

Carwash

Señor Member
I don't know about perfect, but my votes would be for Uppsala and York. Orkney also gets my vote (although I've never lived there for more than a couple of months at a time), assuming you a) can find a job doing whatever it is you do, and :smile: like wind. Lots of wind.

I don't know the answer to this either: Still trying to find it.

ChrisKH

Guru
TheDoctor said:
North Wales I'm very fond of. Been going quite often all my life really - I have rellies around Conway and Bangor.

North Wales is lovely for outdoor living and great cycling country. However, when you want a lively night out or a bit of retail therapy you'd probably have to trek to somehwere like Chester or Liverpool. I spent seven weeks there once (Conway/Caer Rhun - actually I was on a sheep farm) and it's a little quiet for my liking.

QuickDraw

domtyler said:
I am kind of resigned to being stuck working in London for the foreseeable future due to a lack of big financial corporations in other areas of the country.

I feel quite sad that this means I will never get to know different parts of the country, or indeed the world.

If I could, I'd love to try somewhere new, like Yorkshire or Devon/Cornwall maybe. Where is the best place to live and work?

RBS, HBOS, Standard Life, Scottish Widows, .... Surely one of those would employ you? That would open you up to living anywhere around Edinburgh. Fife? Stirling? Even Glasgow has NAB and Abbey/Resolution, there's a big Prudential office in Stirling and there must be a big place in Halifax, Newcastle's got Northern Rock of course but now might not be the right time to move there.

I prefer where I am though in Milngavie. Just on the edge of Glasgow and close enough to Loch Lomond to occasionally cycle past it on my way to work.

betty swollocks

large member
John Pomfret encapsulated it for me:-

If heaven the grateful liberty would give
That I might choose my method how to live,
And all those hours propitious fate should lend,
In blissful ease and satisfaction spend:
Near some fair town I'd have a private seat,
Built uniform, not little, nor too great:
Better if on a rising ground it stood;
Fields on this side, on that a neighbouring wood;
It should within no other things contain
But what were useful, necessary, plain:
Methinks 'tis nauseous, and I'd ne'er endure
The needless pomp of gaudy furniture.
A little garden, grateful to the eye,
And a cool rivulet run murmuring by,
On whose delicious banks a stately row
Of shady limes or sycamores should grow;

Arch

Married to Night Train
Carwash said:
I don't know about perfect, but my votes would be for Uppsala and York. Orkney also gets my vote (although I've never lived there for more than a couple of months at a time), assuming you a) can find a job doing whatever it is you do, and :biggrin: like wind. Lots of wind.

Ah, but you're tall. We short folk, closer to the ground, we don't get affected so badly...:smile:

Carwash said:
and :biggrin: like wind. Lots of wind.

that is, unfortunately, my abiding memory of the Orkneys. Starting with a rollercoaster ferry ride. We then hired bikes and battled our way to Skara Brae (well worth a visit). We then turned around and battled our way back. In fact as an experiment, I cycled to the left and right as well. Wind against me both those ways as well: Weird :smile:

Top Bottom