Where's the best place(s) to live?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Crackle said:
that is, unfortunately, my abiding memory of the Orkneys. Starting with a rollercoaster ferry ride. We then hired backs and battled our way to Skara Brae (well worth a visit). We then turned around and battled our way back. In fact as an experiment, I cycled to the left and right as well. Wind against me both those ways as well: Weird ;)

Yeah, it does do that. But when I was there, all my ferry crossings were as flat as a millpond, which was a pity, I was looking forward to some proper seafaring...

Well as far as East Anglia/'sleepy Suffolk' goes, I wouldn't recommend Newmarket. Leaving my house to walk through the place makes me depressed. It's just....so...boring.....

I've done the whole tiny village thing as a kid, and I don't want to go back to it any time soon. Nice and quiet, but nothing to do, and an expedition to go and buy a pint of milk.

Cambridge I like, and I have lived there, but it's too expensive. Someone mentioned Norwich, I've not lived there but I have friends who love it.

London would kill me I think.

Hmmm this is actually making me think I don't really know what I'm talking about! Too quiet...too busy...somewhere is a happy medium....

simonali

Guru
wafflycat said:
You describe many a Norfolk village - well, little traffic as opposed to no traffic. I'll be happy to spend the rest of my days in Norfolk.

It's the spherical-headed freaks that put me roight orff, though! ;)

simonali

Guru
Kirstie said:
It's pretty much like that where I live. Only in my village there's no paper shop or pub. You need to walk half a mile for that.

That would be no problem to me at all, as long as the walking is safe to do.

I've got a bike and a dog, so getting to the pub won't be a problem! ;)

Carwash

Señor Member
Crackle said:
Simonali - Sig line. I just recognised it: Black Books.

So's Chuffy's. ;)

simonali said:
That would be no problem to me at all, as long as the walking is safe to do.

I've got a bike and a dog, so getting to the pub won't be a problem! ;)

Yeah pretty much. There's only 1 bit without pavement, and that's over a tiny humpback bridge which crosses the stream at the bottom of the hill. There's some lovely doggy walks and general walks around the place too.

Graham O

Another vote for North Wales. I live in a small village on top of a mountain/hill with 2000 acres of common land to run and mountain bike over. Views over the Dee to the Wirral and Pennines and westwards to Snowdonia. Mountains to 1800 foot within 6 miles, Snowdonia less than an hour away and the fleshpots of Chester 20 minutes. And a recently opened Tesco only 5 minutes away!

I still consider myself an 'ampshire lad, but with all this, why do I keep thinking of moving south. I must be mad.

Top Bottom