Which 2xAAA rear light?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Svendo

Guru
Recently my long serving Smart Lunar R1s have started falling off and one has been lost. Before I just get a like for like, are there any newer better options people are aware of. Much rather have AAAs as can pop fresh charged ones in rather than find a dead light when I need to set off to work.

I've always looked for lights which use AA batteries, which are much cheaper and last more than twice as long than their skinny, overpriced cousins.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to use those lights and had to use laggy bands to stop them falling apart on bumps , i moved over to lights with built in batteys with cob chip set and i reckon they are just as good

OP
OP
Svendo

Svendo

Guru
I used to use those lights and had to use laggy bands to stop them falling apart on bumps , i moved over to lights with built in batteys with cob chip set and i reckon they are just as good

Mine have only just started that after 5+ years! I do have to grease the seals now and again to prevent water ingress in filthy conditions.
The one I lost actually came apart between the clip and the rear portion of the body, which detached sideways but normally so reluctantly I’ve never bothered even fiddling with it, or worked out why for that matter!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Either the Phaart Bleep Dual at £1.99
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rear-light

or the Phaart Booster at £2.99
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/phaart-booster-05-watt-led-rear-light

Occasionally they are on a crazy offer for about 50p and 99p respectively but well worth the full price. (I have both.)

Either the Phaart Bleep Dual at £1.99
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBPDRL/phaart-bleep-dual-05-watt-led-rear-light

or the Phaart Booster at £2.99
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/phaart-booster-05-watt-led-rear-light

Occasionally they are on a crazy offer for about 50p and 99p respectively but well worth the full price. (I have both.)
Can i ask what the difference is between them on performance? I often find planetx product info sketchy - well remember them promoting some light and they said nothing about the batteries at all. My enquiring email was never answered.

glasgowcyclist

Can i ask what the difference is between them on performance? I often find planetx product info sketchy - well remember them promoting some light and they said nothing about the batteries at all. My enquiring email was never answered.

Do you mean in terms of run time?

Mine are purely backups to my dynamo setup, or they might get switched on in really poor visibility, so I can't be sure of how long they last.

Do you mean in terms of run time?

Mine are purely backups to my dynamo setup, or they might get switched on in really poor visibility, so I can't be sure of how long they last.
In terms of anything - run time, visibility, ease of use (including not switching on in a pocket/bag, weather sealing.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Cateye omni 5. Three patterns from steady and a couple of flash / pulse modes. Remembers the light mode it was in, after switching off and back on. So set it to your preferred and leave it. Get a couple and mount one on each seat stay. 190 hour run time on one of the flash / pulse modes and it's not an annoying patterns, it's more that which LEDs are lit varies rather than completely off then back on. So more like tinsel glittering under a light and a bit of a breeze.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

In terms of anything - run time, visibility, ease of use (including not switching on in a pocket/bag, weather sealing.

Mine are stowed in my pannier and I've never had either one switch on inadvertently.

Light output for both is excellent, easily visible over a great distance and, I reckon, over 180 degrees.

The Booster has a hidden switch on its underside (not visible in the picture) which is flush with the housing. In fact, it's a small rubber area which is easy enough to press with bare fingers but a little trickier with winter gloves on. Definitely not one you could activate while on the move, unlike the Dual. Can't remember the cycle of modes but there's a steady mode and at least one flashing mode using its three LEDs.

The Dual has a button in the centre of the unit, between the two LEDs. Easy to activate with or without gloves, and despite the more prominent switch I've never had one switch on accidentally in a bag or pocket. Again, this has steady and flashing modes but I'll need to check what they are once I get home.

They are both well-sealed against the elements and have survived several years of dreich Glasgow weather unscathed. The red plastic housing snaps very tightly against the rubber seal so there's probably no need to do what I do with lesser seals and smear a wee bit of Vaseline around them. The only other thing I can think of at the moment is that they both use the same mount.

Top Bottom