Which 700x23c Tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Howdo.

Appreciating that this may be a can of worms, and side stepping the 23 vs 25 vs 28 mm argument for a second, after 7 or so years of regular cycle commuting and some feature rich long distance work, I find myself potentially needing to source a 700x23c tyre.

...and I've never needed one before. :smile:

All of my stable are 26", 24", 20" recumbents, and I'm accustomed to buying Schwalbe Duranos as they're one of the few that seem to cover the range of sizes I need, and I can generally get them at ChainReaction.

But with a possible switch to a more common size wheel, I'm wondering whether durano are the way to go.... Lots more choice at this size... What are people's findings for a decent tyre? And by decent, I mean durable and fast.

What are people riding these days, and where do they get them?

For reasons that will become apparent later, a 25c is out. I'll accept a "pick any three" from fast, durable, comfortable and cheap.

Cheers all. Looking forward to riding some more conventional kit. If only 'cos I can cadge tubes off my mates.

Andy.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

actually, I say a 23c tyre, but in reality I need two....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Durano Plus. Bit heavier than the standard, but still quick rolling. And more durable than a very, very durable thing. I've had 7,000 miles out of a front with no visitations.

image.jpg
Schwalbe Durano + Etape's, I've had them on my Boardman Roady for 8 months of riding across some properly dodgy, pointy stuff strewn junctions, and covered over 6000 Km's with no punctures, and not much wear. They aren't much heavier than the non shielded conti's I ran in the summer either. I can't recommend them highly enough. They are 'class 5' shielded, so barring tube failure, pinchies, or a side wall issue, they are very hard to penetration puncture.

OP
OP
arallsopp

arallsopp

Hmmm... Thanks all.

Good question, @stephec. I guess I'm risk averse in the sense that I'd prefer something resilient, but I suspect I'm going to be letting the rest of the bike down if I don't have something relatively fast. Those etapes look very nice. For first time out with tyres that don't look like I stole them from a kid's bike, these would satisfy my pride :smile:

That said, the yellow is going to clash, and they'd be faster in red, of course. :smile:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
@arallsopp Is this a 700c 'bent?

adscrim

Veteran
Those etapes look very nice. For first time out with tyres that don't look like I stole them from a kid's bike, these would satisfy my pride :smile:

That said, the yellow is going to clash, and they'd be faster in red, of course. :smile:

I think the Etape's were just a special edition of the regular Durano plus - which I too would recommend.

I think the Etape's were just a special edition of the regular Durano plus - which I too would recommend.

I have these as well, they aren't a patch on the Durano's, but they'll do as a stop gap. They are level 3 shielded, and lighter than the Durano's, but they are a wee bit more susceptible to the puncture fairy.

image.jpg

Touch wood, I'll get a bit more out of my current commuting tyres. The fairy did visit last week at a shade under 2000 miles They are 25mm conti gp4000s and despite their good record I wouldn't recommend the 23mm based on previous experience; they are fast grippy tyres but weak at the side walls. Ive bought Mitch Pro4 Endurance, based on my previous experience they are almost as fast and grippy as the conti but a lot more robust, my first rear mitch lasted 6000miles.

Top Bottom