Which arm and leg warmers to buy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

For winter will I manage to stay warm enough if I just bought arm and leg warmers and wore them with short sleeve jersey and shorts? Are most arm and leg warmers pretty much the same or is there a big difference among various brands?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes
No

You will just need to check the sizes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Any good fluorescent brands to look at?
I imagine they would be good (most seem to be black, albeit with small reflective markers), especially in winter?
Endura a good brand, heavily reduced at Tredz (although no guarantee they have stock)
https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Endura-Xtract-Arm-Warmers_84531.htm

There’s no way I’d be warm enough in proper winter with a jersey and shorts and warmers. For me they are more a spring/autumn thing. Long sleeves and long legs for winter as I do find the warmers move around/slip and go a bit Nora batty wrinkly :laugh: You need to get the sizing right

si_c

Guru
I have two types of arm/leg warmer - lightweight spring/autumn ones and fleece lined winter ones. I've ridden regularly with arm warmers and SS jersey in winter - when it gets colder I'll sometimes have a long sleeve baselayer underneath as well. I wouldn't worry too much about the brand it's the construction that defines how warm they are.

The warmest ones I have I got on ebay for under a tenner about 3 years ago.

I do this as my arms are quite long (I'm 6'5") and long sleeve jerseys often don't have sleeves long enough. Not had any problems keeping warm even in sub-zero temperatures.

I don't know anyone who rides with just a jersey and arm warmers in winter.
Depends on how cool it is and what kind of rides you do - but I'd be also getting a windproof jacket.

My favourite arms are the prendas cyclismo meraklon ones. Cheap and don't fall down.

I don't know anyone who rides with just a jersey and arm warmers in winter.
Me neither (I'm ignoring the post above from @si_c as it's clearly fantasy :P) I imagine I might manage with a thermal gilet over SS jersey + warmers, but that would be a bit faffy IMO.

But quite a few folks manage with just shorts+leg-warmers down below. Personally, in proper low temps I need more than that covering my delicate groin/arse, thankyouverymuch!

Sharky

Guru
Leg warmers are OK for the in between seasons, but arm warmers are a bit of a faff. It's difficult cladding the whole of your top half in sufficient layers to give an even and protective covering against the wind and bitter cold. Easier just to layer up on top and have a really good wind proof top layer with tight arm cuffs to stop the wind freezing your arms.

Arm warmers are good when you start off early in the day and want to remove them later when it gets hot.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Winter I manage with knee warmers, gave up with bib tights, but might try normal tights over shorts. Arm warmers for Autumn/Spring/Summer. Winter involves base layers top half, never usually get really cold and I live in the frozen North !

I bought some TERRIBLE arm-warmers of theirs a few years ago (in the bargain bin of a reputable LBS). Fitted nicely enough, then first shower turned them into baggies.

I've had numerous other brands that were far better. I did wonder if they were copies?!? But never again; PlanetX for a fiver for me (coolmax or merino!)

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

I bought some TERRIBLE arm-warmers of theirs a few years ago (in the bargain bin of a reputable LBS). Fitted nicely enough, then first shower turned them into baggies.

I've had numerous other brands that were far better. I did wonder if they were copies?!? But never again; PlanetX for a fiver for me (coolmax or merino!)
Thank you for the suggestions I will look into Planet X once it starts to get cold outside.

They're only a fiver. I was wearing my prendas ones the other week starting off. Very useful all year round. But I've never used them in proper winter.

Top Bottom