Which baby buggy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My daughter is preggo and my son-in-law suggested jokingly that I ask for advice on CycleChat as "they seem to know everything about everything" - his words!
That's a challenge.
Some of them are crazy prices!!

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
We went to kiddiecare in Peterborough to look at all the makes and models then hunted down a second hand jobby. I would recommend Maxi-cosi, because I think they look cool. In all seriousness I can recommend getting what they call a system these days, meaning that you have one frame and wheels that works with the travel cot, the car seat and later converts into a proper toddler buggy.

And if you're over 5' 5" make sure you give any bugger a proper test push, I'm 6'(ish) and can't push our youngling's buggy for more than half an hour without my spine crumbling, it's just too short. I'm also lanky, which means I have to walk sort of beside the buggy otherwise I kick the back of the seat when I walk, and for some reason the wee one gets annoyed with that.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
We're looking at buggies as well. It's my partners 2nd, so she has a lot of experience already. We'll be going for a quinny buzz, and get the cot that goes with it, and a maxi-cosi car seat as it'll slot right in.

The buzz is good for me as I'm 6'5 and need extendable handle and no straight through axle that I always kick! Folds small for the car too

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
The buzz is good for me as I'm 6'5 and need extendable handle and no straight through axle that I always kick! Folds small for the car too

Glad it's not just me! I'm off to look for a Quinny Buzz on ebay now!

If you've not carted babies about in a car for a while it's worth getting your head around ISOfix mounts. My car is too old to have ISOfix mounts so we had to get a seat that was held in place by seatbelts, which in practice was a LOT more convenient than using an ISOfix mount as we could switch between vehicles and 'de-baby' the car very easily when we needed it for grownups.

Sandra6

Veteran
It's a bit like buying a bike, I guess. You have to know your budget and the type of terrain you'll be travelling over.
Are you a walker or a use the car and go to the supermarket? You can get a 3 wheeler with air pumped tyres for all terrain or a sleek ultra weight combination that practically folds itself and jumps in the boot.
I've had graco - cheap and cheerful, they are the apollo of the pushchair world.
Maclaren - prams to suit all budgets, and you get what you pay for, the higher the spec (and the price tag) the better the chariot.
Shop's own - pram shaped objects!!
bebe-confort - more of a hybrid type
bebecar - that was my most expensive pram and it was akin to the top class road bike complete with lycra team kit!
I never had a Mammas and Pappas but if you want to be hip and trendy they're the one to get -they change their colours twice yearly to keep you on your toes.
If I were to buy a pram now I'd probably go for the i candy or similar.
I hate the travel combinations as I really don't think babies should be kept in car seats anywhere other than the car -but each to their own.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oi - there is a baby buggy forum over that way >>>>>>>>

:tongue:

One important point - make sure the buggy fits in their car, especially if it's a 'system' type one (e.g. has the baby car chair built in).

MisterStan

Label Required
We're looking at buggies as well. It's my partners 2nd, so she has a lot of experience already. We'll be going for a quinny buzz, and get the cot that goes with it, and a maxi-cosi car seat as it'll slot right in.

+1 - from a Buzz owner - the extending handle saves back ache and it fits in the boot of my Mini, so must be small! We used the carry cot instead of a Moses Basket in the house too to save money and space.

Alan Whicker

A vote here for the Mamas And Papas Pliko Pramette. Very well made, and Little Whicker seemed very happy in it for his first year. There's a matching car seat that can be fitted to it (apparently - we never used it that way). It's quite boot-fillingly big folded up, and was a bit large for a 'London' pram. We've just got a Maclaren which is much lighter and smaller.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
With my 1st child we bought cheap prams and must have gone through 4 or more till we bought a McClaren buggy that is now in use for child number 2 .
As sandra says it all depends on what you want to use the pushchair for and how much room you have in the car/house to store it as some of the top end stuff can be quiet large .
Do you want a travel system ?
You can get chairs that can take a proper old school lying down area ( feck i am thick cant thing what its called ) that also can convert to a tiltable buggy seat ,you can also get attatchments that can take car seats allowing easy transfer from car to chair if you do not want to disturb the child.You can also have the seat facing forward or backwards .
Not cheap, we got ours in a sale when we moved house last time and had some spare cash ....
http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercar...Pram%20and%20Pushchair%20-%20Black%20Jacquard

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
12 years ago (a lifetime now), we got a Mothercare Travel System buggy - the car seat fitted it when Little Miss was tiny, then when she got bigger she could lie in the buggy itself. It was great, but rather bulky and cumbersome and not great for getting around shops with.

It all became too much of a handful so we then bought a little Graco, which at the time was the lightest on the market and which could be folded down / put up with one hand. It was a revelation!

I don't know what the modern equivalent is, but I'd avoid spending a vast fortune on a chunky big thing for starters so that you can buy a small, lightweight and very portable one just as soon as baby is big enough for it. It really does make life a lot easier!

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Son-in-law here: We don't have a car and have been looking at a travel system thingy, with detachable seat and car seat that clips in. The main question is do we need a car seat that clips into the buggy? Also, I suppose the main consideration is how heavy/manoverable it is seeing as it'll be going on buses in others cars etc...
Graco have a new one (Eco) we were looking at today, it seemed to fit the bill and it's good to hear some positive feedback about the brand...will also check out Maxi cosi.
Anyway cheers for all the advice very helpful

Top Bottom