Which bearings for fork/steerer on road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
let the bottom bearing in my forks get in a bad way and need to replace them. the top one isn't too bad bu i might get a set if i can including the races

not sure which ones to buy
any help from these pics?

i measured top of the tube and it seems to be 1 1/8th

20190727_164726.jpg

bottom. a different shape to the top. i though part of the bearing was still stuck in there
20190727_165926.jpg

20190727_170056.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
1 and 1/8' semi integrated.

robgul

Legendary Member
Not quite that simple - there are lots of sizes (ID, OD, Depth, Chamfer angle) - then different qualities. Most bearings will either have a code on the seal ring and/or the dimensions etched on the side of the bearing - you can then usually find a supplier.

The major bearing suppliers (e.g. Kinetic or Enduro) have tables for bearings for various bike brands and models.

Rob

PS: The bearing manufacturers don't recommend it but "sealed bearings" can be serviced by gently prising out the seal ring(s) - cleaning and re-greasing, replace the seal. [There's a GCN with Jon Canning showing you how to do it)

Drago

Legendary Member
He's talking about replacing the races as well, which would indicate an entire new headset, not just bearings.

Therefore, it is very simple - "Can I have a 1 and 1/8th semi integrated headset please Chief." Sealed, unsealed, or whatever, is nothing more than a matter of preference and budget.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
i think it is an FSA headset, the top bearing is ok and i might be able to get a model number but the bottom one fell to bits
i was hoping to order on the internet but might be a run to the LBS or halfords with the bike in tow to make sure

OP
OP
NorthernSky
hi folks, seems the bearing casing had come apart and stuck in the bottom area. i managed to knock it out.

the top and bottom have the same casing where the bearing sits
does that make my headset integrated?
both bearings seem to be the same (written on them is TH industries 1 1/8' 45 x 45)

i'm just going to replace the bottom bearing as the top isn't too bad.

Top Bottom