Which bike? Folder vs Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vtailor

Hi all,
This is my first post. I am new to biking, in fact I haven't attempted to ride a bike since I was 10 (and that was with stabilisers) !

I sold my car last weekend and have decided to take the plunge and get a bike through my Cycle 2 Work scheme.
I have been doing a fair amount of research in the last week to help me decide which bike to go for. Now I am stuck between choosing a folder or a hybrid, I have had tons of different opinions thrown at me and am no closer to making a decision!

The two bikes I have short-listed are

1) Kona smoke 700c Hybrid commuter bike
http://www.rutlandcy...muter-Bike.html

2) Dahon speed D7
http://uk.dahon.com/...s/2010/speed-d7

What I want to know is which type of bike is best for the following?

* carrying up 2 flights of steps to my 2nd floor flat
* store in storage cupboard with width of 45cm, depth of 2 meters
* 5km commute on road with pot holes and gradients
* carrying couple of bags of grocery shopping
* leisure cycling in parks on grass,trails etc
* cycling in hilly areas like Hampstead
* cycling in heavy rain & wind (winter)
* cycling up to 40km (when I am experienced enough)
* finding parts and easy repairs
* locking up in camden / central london occasionally

Any tips or comments are much appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

g00se

Veteran
Hi,

From your riding, everything points towards a 'regular' bike rather than a folder - other than the size of the cupboard!

That folder is 12.5kg which is much the same as most hybrids (the smoke may be a little more due to being steel and the size of the tyres). So not much benefit in carrying it upstairs over a regular bike (provided you can negotiate the turns). In fact, putting it over your shoulder may be easier for lifting the bike than carrying in one hand with the folder.

I've never ridden a folder, but they are supposed to be a little twitchy compared to a rigid bike (a few expensive exceptions). Depending on the hills, regular 21-to-27 gearing may be more accommodating that the 7 speed (though the range will not be much different).

The issue is the width of the cupboard - most hybrids have flat bars around 60-70cm and it'll be a pain to rotate them to get them into the cupboard on a regular basic - especially if it has a threadless headset. Now, you would probably be able to get drop handlebars in that width though.....

But of you do go towards a hybrid, you may want to look for the lightest one possible.

OP
OP
V

vtailor

Hi,

From your riding, everything points towards a 'regular' bike rather than a folder - other than the size of the cupboard!

That folder is 12.5kg which is much the same as most hybrids (the smoke may be a little more due to being steel and the size of the tyres). So not much benefit in carrying it upstairs over a regular bike (provided you can negotiate the turns). In fact, putting it over your shoulder may be easier for lifting the bike than carrying in one hand with the folder.

I've never ridden a folder, but they are supposed to be a little twitchy compared to a rigid bike (a few expensive exceptions). Depending on the hills, regular 21-to-27 gearing may be more accommodating that the 7 speed (though the range will not be much different).

The issue is the width of the cupboard - most hybrids have flat bars around 60-70cm and it'll be a pain to rotate them to get them into the cupboard on a regular basic - especially if it has a threadless headset. Now, you would probably be able to get drop handlebars in that width though.....

But of you do go towards a hybrid, you may want to look for the lightest one possible.

Thanks g00se, what would you say about security?
Is it true that fold-ups are better because you can fold them down and lock through the frame and both wheels?

g00se

Veteran
Thanks g00se, what would you say about security?
Is it true that fold-ups are better because you can fold them down and lock through the frame and both wheels?

Whether it's a folder or a regular bike, you really want to be locking through both wheels and the frame anyway. If you're commuting, you can take the folder with you - otherwise you'll have to lock the regular bike where appropriate (street, secured parking etc).

If someone really wants to steal a bike, they will... it's the opportunity thefts that you want to try to stop.

Best thing is to try out the two types of bikes - then you'll know which you enjoy more and what compromises you prefer.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I carry my 12Kg hybrid up to the 3rd floor, is the stairs are necessarily an issue, but the bars are 60cm across, so that is a bit more of an issue when storing it. One solution would be to go for a dropped bar bike as most come with 42cm wide bars, or you could contact " Hallway Bikes" on this thread and offer to test his new product ;)

Top Bottom