1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which bike for commuting

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by skinny man0903, 1 Jan 2008.

?
  1. Hybrid

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Tourer

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Mtb

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  4. road

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I have ridden mtb, hybrid and a tourer. I prefer the tourer for commuting.
    I have voted

2. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

You ought to put cyclocross on the list. Like this-

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/index.php?bikeID=5&show_bike=TRUE

3. ash68

ash68 New Member

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

I alternate between MTB and roadie, depending on the weather and state of the roads. However for me, riding the roadie really makes my rides more enjoyable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

No Recumbent on the list?

6. gavintc

gavintc Guru

It depends entirely on your distance and path/road surface. I have used an MTB, and old decrepit road bike from the early 80's and more recently - my winter road bike as my commute is now 17 mile on back roads. If you are likely to use a canal tow path or similar rough surfaces, the MTB is ideal. In a city, I would use a hybrid, and for normal road conditions, a road bike. I do not think i is a simple as - one bike for all.

7. palinurus

palinurus Guru

Sometimes MTB, sometimes road, sometimes a folder.

Probably prefer the roadbikes, but it depends on what i'm carrying and the weather. Sometimes the folder offers a bit of flexibility if I want to go somewhere else after work but I don't use it often for commuting.

8. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

if only roads, canal paths and tarmacked paths - road bike
    if quite a lot of gravelly paths and kerbs - hybrid
    if you're lucky enough to have an off road commute, then mtb, but personally i wouldn't trust myself not to get too muddy so would go on the road.

9. Old Walrus

Old Walrus Über Member

It depends on the shift I'm working and whether the trains are an option, old MTB, Brompton or Tricross. Of choice it's the Tricross.

10. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Since I only own one bike, and it's a MTB, then it has to be commuting by MTB !

I'm quietly considering going for a good road bike on the Bike To Work scheme when it renews this April, though :smile:

11. OP
    OP
    skinny man0903

skinny man0903 Guest

That's how I bought my tourer through the bike to work scheme, otherwise I could not to buy a £400 bike plus £60 Worth off accessories.
    Cycle helmet, computer and front and rear lights.

12. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Road for me - my hybrid feels far too heavy on the commute.

13. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

In summer I ride my fixie road bike, but in winter it's my cobbled together hybrid tourer type commuter with front and rear racks, mudguards, child seat for taking littl'un to nursery en route, AirZound for correcting poor driving decisions, on one Mungo extra wide drops etc. Much slower but still quick enough and I like all the utilitarian toys on it.

14. davidwalton

davidwalton New Member

Sorry, but it would have to be a recumbent, even though it appears recumbent cycles are not considered an option by most DF riders.

15. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

If it's any consolation, davidwalton, I switch between a hybrid and a 'bent trike so I have only really had 1/2 a vote........?

T x