which bike for LEJOG?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S

simon_o

Depends why you're doing it. I was interested in seeing the countryside, finding nice places for lunch, and having a good time in the pub each evening. My daily mileage of 75 or so meant completing the route in 12 days. That was perfect for me - no need to make an early start, a decent lunch break and we were still finished by 5pm, then a hot shower, change of clothes and off for a decent meal.

Well the original plan was to do it as a challenge - which involved aiming for a challenging time, but lunch and pubs is sounding tempting, maybe i need to persuade my mates we need a little longer...

OP
OP
S

simon_o

I've got a Specialized Secteur, which has proved fine for rides over 100 miles/day quite often. It'll take a rack/guards as well, although Raceblades seem to fit better.

The specialized secteur fits into the sort of price range i was looking at so I'll definitely try one out, just a shame the 2013 model is now out of stock in large sizes

what sort of baggage did you take with it, looking at the photos I don't think there's any rack mounts on it?

thanks

OP
OP
S

simon_o

The first 8 days were between 80 and 100 miles, a 140 mile 9th day and a 13 mile 10th day.

how was the 9th day!

Do you plan to camp or B&B? If camping you'd definitely want a proper rack over a post mounted one.

Plan is to B&B it, cut down on the luggage & have a good nights sleep, but your 12 day approach sounds worth some consideration too

HorTs

Über Member
how was the 9th day!

The 9th day was actually one of the most enjoyable - I felt like I could've gone on forever. I certainly could have done the last 13 miles. I think it was combination of accrued fitness and knowing I was homeward bound.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
Ditto much of above.

Decide now if you are going to be camping or hostel/ b&b's. That will determine bike choice to a degree, tourer for camping ,road bike otherwise.
I strongly advise you get a triple...I did it on a compact and trust me there are HILLS in the UK.

I'm not sure why many peeps seem to get so hung up on the speed it takes them to do it, unless you want a place in the record books this is pretty irrelevant (work comitments aside i guess). Choose a route that takes you through the nice bits of this greena nd pleasant land, what is th epoint in busting your gut shooting up am lot of A roads just so you can boast how fast you did it?

Take a good camera, and stop when you see a shot, remember you wont be back there for a while so dont ride past it just because you are on some kind of deadline.

Get some proper road training in, it's totally different to the gym.

Learn how to fix your bike, at least the basics.

Get the right clothing.

Get the right maps, I used a GPS with pre loaded track files for each stage.

If you ride unsupported on a road bike carry a rucksack unless you can get a rack fitted for some small panniers. I rode with a rucksack against popular advice and it was fine.

Take some pain killers:laugh:

Top Bottom