which bike, less than a grand, no giants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
What size defy do you need.

I am 6' with a 32/33 leg and ride a m/l

There is this as a M
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Def...=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3f1a2394f2#ht_500wt_947
Falmouths a long way and i want to buy new with a cycle scheme

ive never sat on a giant but was only interested as all recommendations says its a top bike, but as they are all sold out im looking for none gaint suggestions

6 foot mate but only a 31inch inside leg so i like a bike with a long top tube
I've got a 62cm Ribble that I keep thinking about selling. I only used it for commuting, (6 miles a day), but I don't commute now so it's not getting used.
Bike-1.jpg

been trying to buy a defy 1 with no look as all the bike shops in the north england have sold out and cannot get more stock from giant (must have been all the good reviews on cyclechat)

tried to build my self a Ribble but without much infomation on thier different frames, not bieng able to test a bike for good fit and so much component choice it blows my mind plus loads of bad reviews on cyclechat going to give them a miss

by chance i came across a shop selling a Bottecchia Duello which looked very well equiped but with very little information on the WWW im unsure how it matches up to bigger bike manufactures

help me buy a bike please, im looking for a pure race with good value for money upto a grand (max i can spend on cycle scheme)

PS
or a shop with a defy 1 in stock with a top tube of around 560mm

thanks

The Ribbles are fantastic for the money and most of the bad reviews are to do with their customer service/after-service which according to many genuine experiences, not mine own I might add, is not that great. IMO you're not going to get much of a feel for a bike with a half-hour test ride anyway; that won't show up any problems with geometry vs your own body.

I have a New Sportive and whilst the set-up I chose was over a grand you could do it for well under.

Another + for a Ribble.

And, I might be wrong, pound for pound (£) I reckon a Ribble will be lighter than a Boardman and many of the lower priced components suggested on their bikebuilder - the ITM bars, stems for example, are pretty competitive in terms of weight compared with much more expensive alternatives.

Under a grand...
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bikeb...&part=BB12RIBNEWSPORTIVE&sub=conf_BBRC&bike=1

and...

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/...oduct/review-ribble-sportive-bianco-12-46198/

Select Ribble in the same review section above and they're all rated very well and you can adjust the spec to suit your budget.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
When the shops are telling you they are sold out and can not get any more, what they really mean is, they have sold out of the 2012 model that the brand are no longer producing, they cant get more of this in as it is a now an old model, they should (assuming they continue to be a dealer of that particular brand) be receiving the 2013 stock in a few months.

I can only suggest either waiting, or looking at the remaining stocks of 2012 bikes and find something that matches your budget. If you want something that is purebred racer, then I would recommend forgetting Giant Defy's (unless this frame fits and feels so much better for you than other bikes) and look into a Cannondale CAAD (8 or 10). That way you end up with a top grade frame set, that way it will serve as a better platform for upgrading as time goes by. IMO.

Top Bottom